Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quilt photography how-tos >

Need quilt photography how-tos

Need quilt photography how-tos

Old 05-26-2013, 05:30 AM

Default Need quilt photography how-tos

I've finally finished quilting the quilt for my GD's wedding. Hallelujah!!!

Now I'd like to take good pics of it, but have no experience taking photos of quilts. I've noticed that some of you post beautiful pictures of your quilts, so, I have a questions:

My quilt is 96x111. How in the world will I ever get a full photo of one that big. It's white, so I don't want to put it on the ground. Putting it on the bed doesn't give me the full quilt. However, unless someone has a great how-to, I'll be stuck with photographing in sections.

I wish I still had a cloths line; I'd hang it from that. Alas, that is long gone.

Ideas?

TIA (=thanks in advance),

Dray
Old 05-26-2013, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Many us don't have the ability to show it flat out.
I often drape it over a chair or a couch.

Just do the best you can.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Do you have a porch or deck with a rail? You can put a clean sheet over the railing and then the quilt for a picture. How about along the back of the couch and then out to the floor?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

If You want to lay it down onto the ground to photograph it, lie something down on the ground first to protect it. I don't know what kind of camera you have, but many cameras have settings to help you get the photo of the quilt at it's best. I suggest you read your booklet. I know what a pain, but, if you really want to know. That is where you will get the best information. If you have a two story house, you could hang it from above on the open landing?

Some people take their quilt outside to hang on a fence or ? But, the quilt being white, it is going to be very hard to get a photo unless you take it in either early morning or in the evening light. That would be the best to get some detail of the quilting.

Oh sometimes there is a public rec center or church that would work out to take your pic.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-26-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 AM

I've seen people hanging their quilts with a few skirt/pant hangers over their eavestrough
or the garage door.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Over the shower curtain rod?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 AM

I've put mine on the floor of the living room, gone up to the loft above to photograph. I've also hung the quilt from railing upstairs. The same would work using the grass and a deck above. I've also photographed quilts on the bed. That shows it in use. And hanging from the curtains in the room, but that only gets about 84" off the ground, unless you have floor to ceiling curtains.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I bought a photographer's backdrop stand just for this purpose. I did photograph several large quilts on the stand, but most of the time I just take pictures of them laid out on the floor. (I usually stand on something and raise my arms over the quilt to get a better vantage point.)
Old 05-26-2013, 05:02 PM

Good topic. Will be following, the pictures I take of my quilts are always fuzzy.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:27 PM
whynotquilt

Several good ideas on taking pics.
I lay mine out on the floor and then stand on a ladder to get an over all photo. I've also draped them over the railing on the deck. Some just drape them over a couch and don't worry about getting a pic of the entire quilt. If is has any detail work in the blocks or the stitching you may want to also take close ups of that as an over all pic may not show those details.

whynotquilt