Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Professional Quilt Photography >

Professional Quilt Photography

Professional Quilt Photography

Old 05-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Default Professional Quilt Photography

A friend of mine is an awesome photographer and I suggested that she should add proffesional quilt photography as one of her services. The problem is, neither of us knows what the going rate Is. If any of you know I would appreciate if you could share it with me. Artists helping artists. Thanks a bunch and happy quilting!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 AM
Power Poster

I should think that it would be the same as for any other photo service. It's a portrait of a quilt instead of a person.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

But as a portrait of an inanimate object, that requires little to no background set up, just hangs straight on a photographer's frame, doesn't talk back/cry/move around, and would likely require just 3-4 shots, it seems to me there would be a lot less work to taking a quilt "portrait" than a human OR animal portrait or even a landscape.

Jan in VA
Old 05-13-2013, 04:27 AM

I take pictures of my quilts with my iPhone, BUT if a quilter wants to enter a juried show and needs to send a photo of a quilt it may be important to have all the colors show true and close up of stitches be perfect. That is pretty much what we were talking about when we came up with the idea.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:38 AM

Ok here is the scoop. I talk to my D-I-L a Professional Photography. They are lots of thing to think about but she would not charge as much to quilts as she dose for Weddings or family groups. Just becuse they is not the work of getting everyone to smile, look the someway at the some time. Now having talk to her about we have gaven her some feed for thint of ways to add to her portfo.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 AM

To be honset, I don't think the market would be very big at all. The show entry information provided for most shows gives a lot of detail on how to best photograph your quilt, there are several excellent websites on the subject, lots of quilt shops provide well lit settings for taking the pictures, and even inexpensive digital cameras take good photos for the jury process.

For the Lowell (MA) Quilt Festival, the New England Quilt Museum is providing space and a professional photographer to take entry pictures (free of charge to members, museum entrance fee to non-members).
http://www.lowellquiltfestival.org/q...y-service.html

They also give these reference sources.
http://www.lowellquiltfestival.org/p...our-quilt.html

Your friend might contact the museum for the photographer's name and then contact him/her for pricing info. You're in a comparable, but not competitive, market area so it doesn't seem like it would be any problem. Good luck to her.