Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quilt photography how-tos >

Need quilt photography how-tos

Need quilt photography how-tos

Old 05-26-2013, 06:06 PM

Check around your community; maybe the library, rec center, or elementary school would have a good location for you to hang your quilt so you can photograph it. My library actually has quilts on display in several locations.

Here is some very good information regarding the actual photography part.

http://www.hollyknott.com/stq/
Old 05-26-2013, 06:20 PM

DH hung a wire from the eave of the garage to the eave of the house in a corner. I hang the quilt from there. If you look at quilt photos in books they usually drape the quilts over something. There was one post where they took the quilt to a park and draped it over a statue.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by dray965 View Post
I've finally finished quilting the quilt for my GD's wedding. Hallelujah!!!

Now I'd like to take good pics of it, but have no experience taking photos of quilts. I've noticed that some of you post beautiful pictures of your quilts, so, I have a questions:

My quilt is 96x111. How in the world will I ever get a full photo of one that big. It's white, so I don't want to put it on the ground. Putting it on the bed doesn't give me the full quilt. However, unless someone has a great how-to, I'll be stuck with photographing in sections.

I wish I still had a cloths line; I'd hang it from that. Alas, that is long gone.

Ideas?

TIA (=thanks in advance),

Dray
Check out the local high school basketball team, borrow the tallest guy to stand on a stairs and hold the quilt out with his arms open wide.

(I tried!)
Old 05-26-2013, 07:37 PM

I certainly am not a photographer but have hung quilts from my front deck to take pictures - it helps to have an overcast day so the colors show up better.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:00 AM

Great ideas so far
Old 05-27-2013, 05:17 AM

After going to the www.hollyknot.com website that was suggested in this thread, I had 2 light-bulb thoughts! I don't know if they'll work but worth a try.

1) How about using the design wall, if you have one? If it's not taller than the wall, that would get the quilt. Of course, one would have to have a room big enough to back up and get in the whole quilt. I don't know if this would work for me. Because of the quilt's weight, my sheetrock wall might not hold it. It might though. Have to ask hubby's opinion about this idea.

2) As for hanging without a design wall, it seems to me that you could fix 2 sturdy curtain-rod holders (with sturdy rod) to a wall, affixing further apart than your largest quilt size. Then slip the rod through the quilts sleeve, assuming that it has one. This is the one I think I'll try. I could affix this to each side of my design wall and leave them their permanently for photographing quilts.

An aside about design walls: I see many that are white. I know that artists design walls are usually black, which shows the colors better. I had forgotten that. I may change my white one to black at some point.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Dray ... taking your ideas a little further. For the curtain rod idea, a rod with the rings with clips on them. That would give you the ability to take a picture when you do not have a hanging sleeve. About design walls .... mine is black polar fleece, 7-1/2ft x 12ft. I have had it for a couple years now. Really like it and have absolutely no regrets ... other than it could always be bigger! I actually have some smaller portable ones 2ftx4ft that get used too. Yes, the threads show, but a quick run over with a lint brush/roller cleans them off easy enough. I decided I'd sooner have that, than the threads on the white .... and the white getting grubby!