Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Cat!

Alright so my cat seems to think that I am some kind of toy that he likes to play with. I now have scratches up and down my arms. Hurt so freaking bad! So I had to figure out how to get him to stop it or I would have to get rid of him. Brainstorming ideas included declawing, let him outside, spray bottle or fly swat. I dont want to find him a new home so we had an adventure. So we went to Petsmart and came back with kitty caps. They are little plastic covers for his claws. Its almost like gluing on fake nails. We shall see how this goes, I really hope it helps.

I've never heard of these....Do you rough house with the cat? Do you trim it's nails? Does it have a scratching post?
    Does it actually attack and scratch you?

Blog Entries
    how are you getting along with the cat tonight? I chatted with you last night in live chat

Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaR
    Alright so my cat seems to think that I am some kind of toy that he likes to play with. I now have scratches up and down my arms. Hurt so freaking bad! So I had to figure out how to get him to stop it or I would have to get rid of him. Brainstorming ideas included declawing, let him outside, spray bottle or fly swat. I dont want to find him a new home so we had an adventure. So we went to Petsmart and came back with kitty caps. They are little plastic covers for his claws. Its almost like gluing on fake nails. We shall see how this goes, I really hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    I've never heard of these....Do you rough house with the cat? Do you trim it's nails? Does it have a scratching post?
    Does it actually attack and scratch you?
    We got our cat out of a somewhat abusive and neglectful situation so his actions aren't all that uncommon.
    I do not rough house with him, I have trimmed his nail and yes we have a scratching post.
    He scratches and bits hard.

[quote=craftybear]how are you getting along with the cat tonight? I chatted with you last night in live chat

Take care!

We are going a lot better today. He was not so happy to have the kitty caps put on but once on he doesn't mind then and it keeps him from scratching me all up.

Does he have toys? It will take a little while for him to realize you are safe, that he is in a safe place.

Poor kitty...it sounds like he is afraid and being defensive. I had a cat like that once. The vet suggested a spray bottle, but the cat seemed to like it! My cat improved the most when I got another, younger cat! ;-)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Poor kitty. I had one and she got worse so had to trade her to an outside cat. She loves it out there.

Just a suggestion. LOL
    Name:  Attachment-105395.bmp
Views: 50
Size:  370.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    Poor kitty...it sounds like he is afraid and being defensive. I had a cat like that once. The vet suggested a spray bottle, but the cat seemed to like it! My cat improved the most when I got another, younger cat! ;-)
    I have been telling my husband we need to get another cat for him to play with but he keeps saying no.

Oh and yes he has a ton of toys in every room of our apartment

Blog Entries
    i have three cats. mamma and her two girls. one is extremely timid and scares easily. it took one year of petting and talking calmly for her to let me even pick her up. now we walk around the house a bit and i let her down easily. when she was younger she bit me twice but was extremely frightened at the time. still, i don't want her to get so scared that she bites or scratches me now. so i give her lots of loving her way.
    good luck.

Blog Entries
    I've seen those caps. I;m just a bit curious. Do you actually glue them on? If so, what happens when the glue no longer keeps them on? I would be concerned that he would eat them when they fall off.

I used those on my cat and they work great.

Blog Entries
    Debbie, I love your caged kitty idea!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Too funny!!!!

Blog Entries
    Try playing with her/him with string or cotton rope. Some cats want to have someone play with them and not interested in toys. I have one that is like that. She does not scratch but like to play with the rope. I walk all over the house doing chores with her following me...or the rope that is.

Treat him as though YOU are his mother. Mother cats play with their babies but when the babies start biting or hurting, mom cuffs them lightly on the side of the head and they walk away. A few times of you QUITING playing, he'll get the idea. Also, I clip my 2 cat's nails EVERY Sunday morning. I have one that sleeps thru the process he's so used to it -- and they're almost 4 yrs old. Cutting those nails back would help a lot.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    How wonderful that you rescued the kitty from an unsafe/abusive environment. I love hearing rescue stories- makes me so happy :)
    I am so sorry about your beloved uncle. He sure was handsome and a fighter to the end. How sad. I remember his photo- he looked so full of life.
    Take care sweetie :)

Yes they glue on just like the stick on nails that you see in the stores. Sense they are rubber they seem to stick better then the nails. He doesn't really eat anything that isn't his food or lunch meat. I do keep checking on him to see if he has gotten any off but he hasn't yet

As for all the playing questions. We have a ton of toys that he does play with and just before dinner I play with him with a string. Honestly my husband and I are wanting to start a family and I'm worried about the cat with a baby.

My son used these on his cats. He swears by them. It has saved his furniture as well as legs, arms, noses, etc!

Blog Entries
    I teach my cats not to scratch me, by pressing gently on the paws that scratch me. It is uncomfortable so they get the message real quick. All of my pets are rescues from abuse. When you pick up the cat, make sure he can run away if he/she wants to. If you never force them to be held, they learn to trust you. When you get scratched, immediately wash the scratches with antibacterial soap. I got 'cat scratch fever' once, that was enough. If I can be of further help, just ask. You are my new hero for trying to show this animal that humans can be friends. Your karma points will go way up if you manage to make him/her a friend. :thumbup:

Not working. He still has teeth and another surprise attack on me tonight. I don't want to hurt him but am now so afraid of my cat that I was stuck on the stairs for 20 minutes crying. This is not looking good.

Blog Entries
    You may be forced to call a cat rescue. We have one here that gets feral cats fixed, then returns them to the area they were found in, to live out their lives, after getting a nearby person to leave food out for the feral cats in the area. I will pray for you. It sounds like you may have a feral cat on your hands. If you do, you are 'holding it prisoner' (in it's own mind) and if it is feral, which it sounds like it may be, have the tips cut off before you release it. P.S. Feral cats have returned to the wild state and can not be pets. Talk to your local vet for help. I'm sorry this is so hard on you. (HUGS)

Also, not sure if he/she is spayed or neutered but that will help also.

i know what ya mean my sons kittens love jumping and they slip and i get scratched up,
    HUGS Dora

about 2 degrees north of H-E-double hockey sticks
    Quote Originally Posted by pab58
    I've seen those caps. I;m just a bit curious. Do you actually glue them on? If so, what happens when the glue no longer keeps them on? I would be concerned that he would eat them when they fall off.
    They stay on a long time if you trim the nails before putting them on. So far the same set has stayed on my girl's nails for 3 months. We had to put them on her so she wouldn't scratch her injury.

Neutering will calm a male cat down within a few weeks of the operation. There are free and low cost clinics in most moderate sized towns. If you need help finding one pm me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast