Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sugar ants vs cats for their food....

Blog Entries
    Any suggestions for a cat friendly ant killer? Its been raining for over a week now and the ants are finding it quite nice in my kitchen and enjoy sharing the cats food. Cats are not happy, Mamma is not happy.

I have the same problem, put the cat food dish inside a bowl of water. The water bowl has to be about inch larger than the food bowl, so it floats slightly. Ants don't seem to swim and will just drown, not nice for then but good for you and your cat. Good luck ♥ P.S.love your avatar.
    Hope this works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
    I have the same problem, put the cat food dish inside a bowl of water. The water bowl has to be about inch larger than the food bowl, so it floats slightly. Ants don't seem to swim and will just drown, not nice for then but good for you and your cat. Good luck ♥ P.S.love your avatar.
    Hope this works.
    That's a great idea! We get ants every year and I never thought to do that! I do have ant baits everywhere though because my ants climb up the side of the house and come in every window--even on the 2nd floor! The cats don't bother the ant baits either.

have you tried boric acid Walgreens has tablets most bugs don't like it

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Put baby powder down, the ants won't cross it because they inhale it and die. I battle ants every summer and this is the safest way I have found. The powder won't hurt the cats but you might have white paw prints on the floor and misc. other places.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Put baby powder down, the ants won't cross it because they inhale it and die. I battle ants every summer and this is the safest way I have found. The powder won't hurt the cats but you might have white paw prints on the floor and misc. other places.
    I can just picture little powder paws all over my Brazilian Cherry floors :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Have a sister that swears by lemon juice. Dish soap has always worked well for me.

the water works wonders. LOL the only good ant is a dead one once it enters my house.

I had the same problem so I changed their food. No more ants now. It was dry food too.

If the ants are going after cat food, they're not sugar ants. They're grease ants and they're a lot harder to bait. The baits that I've found work best are MaxAttrax ant baits.

Blog Entries
    Put ant food out where they are coming in & they won't come in the house after food. I had a exterminator come out because I was infested with them & he had a tub of what looked like toothepaste but it was ant killer. He put it about every 6' outside & the ants would go to that instead of coming inside...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    Put ant food out where they are coming in & they won't come in the house after food. I had a exterminator come out because I was infested with them & he had a tub of what looked like toothepaste but it was ant killer. He put it about every 6' outside & the ants would go to that instead of coming inside...
    Gonna try that too! Thanks!

This works for dog food bowls.

I used powder in our motorhome, the ants left.

Senior Member quilting librarian's Avatar
    I don't know about the cat friendly ant killer - I like Grants Ant stakes. I just try to put them where the cat can't/won't get at them, and close to where the ants are entering.

For the cat's sanity - she HATES ants in her food - I set her dish is a pie pan that has water in it. A moat for her food dish! This sometimes is enough to deter the ants from coming in - if there's no food for them.

Blog Entries
    Last summer I found that ants were helping my two cats eat their dry food. I was carrying a bag of individually wrapped white breath mints, and after opening one I dropped it. I answered the phone then and when I returned, the ants near it were gone. so I dumped several mints there. That was last year and haven't seen any more around yet.

spray lysol air freshner outside on the ground where the come in at they wont cross it and it will also kill them and it wont hurt other animals outside. it will also kill spidars,wasps etc if sprayed on them and it is not as poisionous as actual wasp spray

I've read about sprinkling cornmeal where they travel. they carry it back to nest, and it expands in their intestines and they die.

Blog Entries
    I think you can use flour as well. They eat it and carry it back to their nest and it does something to their insides and they die.

Supposedly, drawing a chalk line works. Not sure if the ants don't cross it or if it kills them when they do. Sounds weird, but I do know people in FL who put chalk lines in their cupboards.

Blog Entries
    try placing salt around the food, also where the ants are coming in at., has done good , also heard corn meal is a good thing, haven't tried that though, have out side and they take to thrir home.

hmmm, wonder if tansy will do it, hey it gets rid of fleas, think I will try that one too!

j
    I use cleanser. -- J

Blog Entries
    I love all the suggestions. I will try the water, if I can keep the cats out of it. OK I have to admit it, my cat likes water. She cries at the bathroom door when I shower and runs to get in the shower when I open the door. She will play in her water dish too. I really like the babypowder idea too. I will keep you informed. Thanks again!

There is this stuff called Terro, you place a drop on a piece of cardboard and you can place it under the food dish they take this and take it back to the rest and it kills them

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
    Hope this works.
    I do this cause those nasty little things just will not go away. have spayed their entrance points with lavender and eucalyptus oils mixed in water and put in spray bottle. tea tree (melelucca) oil is good too. This works as long as I do it regulary.

The Terro Ant killer is great. It is non toxic, so its safe anywhere. The ants eat it, take it home to thier nest and it kills off the whole colony. Takes about a week of changing them pretty often, but then they are gone for good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast