Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sugar ants vs cats for their food.... >

Sugar ants vs cats for their food....

Sugar ants vs cats for their food....

Old 03-02-2011, 06:24 AM
j

I use cleanser. -- J
Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 AM

I love all the suggestions. I will try the water, if I can keep the cats out of it. OK I have to admit it, my cat likes water. She cries at the bathroom door when I shower and runs to get in the shower when I open the door. She will play in her water dish too. I really like the babypowder idea too. I will keep you informed. Thanks again!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 AM

There is this stuff called Terro, you place a drop on a piece of cardboard and you can place it under the food dish they take this and take it back to the rest and it kills them
Old 03-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
I have the same problem, put the cat food dish inside a bowl of water. The water bowl has to be about ½ inch larger than the food bowl, so it floats slightly. Ants don't seem to swim and will just drown, not nice for then but good for you and your cat. Good luck ♥ P.S.love your avatar.
Hope this works.
I do this cause those nasty little things just will not go away. have spayed their entrance points with lavender and eucalyptus oils mixed in water and put in spray bottle. tea tree (melelucca) oil is good too. This works as long as I do it regulary.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 AM

The Terro Ant killer is great. It is non toxic, so its safe anywhere. The ants eat it, take it home to thier nest and it kills off the whole colony. Takes about a week of changing them pretty often, but then they are gone for good
Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 AM

Terro----you can get at the hardware store. do as the directions say and you should be rid of them in a couple days.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Are you talking about those horrible itty bitty ants?! We tried everything (sprays, flour, etc.) to get rid of them and nothing kept them away. Finally hired an exterminator.

He told us that these particular ants -- sit down for this one! -- live in the walls of your house!! Super Ugh!!

He said that sprays only tell them "we can't go there again" so they move to another spot/wall and invade a new area. The best thing to use is a deterrent that they bring back to their nests where it kills them and the nest.

Worked great for almost a year but, now that we're having ocassionally warm weather, I'm starting to see them in a room that was packed with stuff when the exterminator did his thing. We signed up again for this year -- believe me, there will be NO packed rooms to hinder his job!!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM

There are bowls out there with just that idea. I used one for years where I used to live, because my outside kitty wouldn't come inside to eat. This way he got his dinner before the ants did. I just looked at "ant proof pet bowl" on google. Several kinds.

Cynthia
Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Put baby powder down, the ants won't cross it because they inhale it and die. I battle ants every summer and this is the safest way I have found. The powder won't hurt the cats but you might have white paw prints on the floor and misc. other places.
To avoid the while pawprints, put some baby powder in an old sock and dust it around....if you can just barely, barely see some bits of it---it still works.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM

Have any of you ladies (and gentlemen) thought about using Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth? I looked them up on Earth Works (http://www.earthworkshealth.com/How-...arth-Works.php). {Also Kellene Bishop - The Preparedness Pro swears by this stuff.} This product is supposed to kill ants, fleas, worms, etc. It is also supposed to be good for human problems also. I have some on order and am going to try it on the ant problem that I have in my driveway. I am also going to give it to my dogs so that when they stick their heads down the prairie dog holes this summer, they won't end up coated with fleas. I hope this works!!