Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sugar...no longer sweet???? >

Sugar...no longer sweet????

Sugar...no longer sweet????

Old 02-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

oh they keep changing everything. Worchester sauce is now brown water. sigh. so you are not imagining things.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:00 AM

I use to use a 1/2 tsp - then it went to a level tsp now its a rounded tsp in my tea. And it does not matter whether it is a brand name or store brand. I've also noticed that my salt intake has increased because its not as salty as it should be. It was suggested that it could be my medication. But I have been taking the same 2 meds for 8 yrs and the sugar thing is within the last few months and the salt thing started a couple yrs ago. My doctors say that there are a lot of meds that these can become side affects after prolonged usage.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
people say 'oh , that's to sweet'
how can something be too sweet?

I'm with you! I have never in my life tasted anything and thought it was too sweet. I don't know if sugar is less sweet now, but I do know I've recently increased the amount of sugar I put in my banana bread.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 AM

I wonder if it's because there is sweetener added to so many things that it takes more of it for us to taste it. I am with you, I have to use a lot more in my coffee than I ever did before. I used artificial sweeteners for years and then stopped, so I adjusted back to sugar. Yet I am using more as time goes by. And sure, I'm getting older, so it could be my taste buds changing, but I don't think that's all it is...
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 AM

There is sugar beet sugar, and then there is sugar cane sugar. Maybe it is beet sugar you are getting.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
There is sugar beet sugar, and then there is sugar cane sugar. Maybe it is beet sugar you are getting.
That's what I was going to say, too. I noticed that difference a long time ago.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:20 AM

If you cut down on sugar and sweeteners for a time, your taste buds will readjust. You'd be doing your health a favour as there is ample evidence that we all eat too much sugar.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Since 1970 I used to make fudge using the chocolate chips and marshmallow cream - then one year (2002 or so) it was just bad, thinking I messed up I made three different batches, all were bad. The next year it was bad again, and I discovered it was the marshmallow cream had changed. I was ready to look for a new recipe, however my husband worked with the recipe and figured out the new measurements - and we still make it every year.

They way they process certain things - looking for a new and improved product doesn't always work for the loyal customers.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:05 PM

I think we're growing so accustomed to the fake sugar in a lot of stuff that real sugar doesn't taste as sweet. I think that's one of the arguments against using Splenda, Nutrasweet, and the like. You get so used to the ultra sweetness of them, you need more sugar to reach your desired level of sweetness.

As as a funny side note, my husband puts LOTS of sugar in EVERYTHING (and, of course, never gains a pound). He puts sugar on honey nut Cheerios! Ick.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:14 PM

I haven't noticed that about sugar, but I do know that my tastebuds are changing. Cannot stand the taste or smell of milk any more.