Super bowl in Phx

Old 01-28-2015, 06:48 PM

Default Super bowl in Phx

I would like to go to Phx and shop but I better stay home, I live 100miles from there and Phoenix is expecting 200 thousand visitors for the golf tournament and SB 49. I'll wait until it is over.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 PM

I think you've made a wise decision, unless you are out of fabric!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:42 PM

Unless you plan to spend the night there it shouldn't be an issue - most people attending the Super Bowl are not there for shopping. They are there to party and enjoy all the pomp and circumstance that goes with it.

I don't know where your shops are - but the celebrations are usually quite close to the facility where the game is played.

In San Diego we hosted the Super Bowl three times - and there was so much going on at Qualcomm and then once the Gas Lamp District was built they held a lot of the parties there. All the shopping areas were ignored. Unlike the Olympics where they need a lot of different venues - the Super Bowl will take up a lot of sports bars.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:49 AM

I so understand what you're talking about. It's winter so the Snowbirds have landed, then you have all the people in for the Super Bowl. I know the Super Bowl people will be tied up with the game and parties, and not so much into the shopping. But it will be ALL of the cars and the parking that gets to be tough. Traffic can be bad in Phoenix with just the Snowbirders, but now add all the extra visitors it should be like a parking lot. If you lived closer you could time your shopping trip to be in the middle of the game, then get out of town fast. I'm out of that mess this year, so when I'm out shopping I'll shop for you too.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:13 AM

I will be glad when it is over so the news will be back. It is all about football so no news . Been watching CNN but they get stuck on one subject and right now its all about the terrorists.
Why is sports considered news?
I live aways from the city of Phx. so do most of my fabric shopping on line. Really like Connecting Threads and Keepsake Quilting.
Have stopped getting so many magazines. Now I only want Fons and Porters Love of Quilting and Block.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:16 PM

I teach school a couple of miles from the stadium. The kids have enjoyed watching the Goodyear Blimp flying right over the school.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:12 AM

It looks like it will rain... If you are out and about please tell the rain gods to send it to California instead. But as for shopping I would stay away from anywhere near the stadium or the routes in. The stores will probably be empty and glad to see you - but lost tourists driving in the rain is scary.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:34 AM

The Quilt and Sew Show was bigger this year with many more and new vendors. That being said - it was also extremely crowded; right from the start it was a madhouse. We actually have the Phoenix Open happening in Scottsdale along with the Super Bowl. Events are spread all over -Scottsdale for the golf, downtown Phoenix and at the stadium in Glendale for the Super Bowl so traffic is really, really a mess! Commutes that should take 25-30 min are an hour-and-a-half!! I think all the wives who came for the other events were at the Quilt and Sew event!!! And if that isn't enough -it is raining here and that does a number on traffic as well. It never rains so when it finally does our streets are slick as glass and no one knows how to drive on it........ There do you feel better about not coming up?
Old 01-31-2015, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Smart thinking. My friend lives there and she is not even walking out of her house this weekend.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:46 AM

I think it might be fun to go and experience all the festivities.
They have been saying the city has done a really great job hosting the game and all the activities.