Surprise

Old 03-31-2012, 04:39 AM

We have 2 grandchildren, 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. I have the older one overnight for about 4 days each week. We weren't so happy in the beginning, but we love them both so much. They are our little angels.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

tell your granddaughter- Congradulations; you hope she is happy; and you love her-
it's not your place to be judgemental- it's your place to be a good grandma- and always love your children/grandchildren.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:14 AM

It wasn't my DGD who came to tell me she was PG but.. my DD, and...she was only 15. To say the least I was not a happy camper but bit my tongue and did what I could to help my DD. She blessed me with my DGD who is the light of my life. She's in her early 20's and I firmly believe a gift from God. I will say that everyone of us has done things in our lives without everyones approval and we have to live with our decisions. Tell her you love her and enjoy the new granbaby.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:31 AM

A baby is a present. Love your GD with all your heart. I am sure she needs that from you. Try not to judge her harshly..she didn't do it your way but times are so different now. I suspect single parenthood is really tough and she is going to need your love and support. Get busy and make that baby a soft and cozy quilt. Stitch it with all the love you can. It is going to be alright..just think how sweet that little baby is going to smell.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 AM

Children are precious gifts from God, as you say. My husband and I have been raising 2 grandchildren for the past 8 years. They were born to married parents who went off the deep end with drug involvement. The dad, our son, spent time in prison, and now their mother is in prison. Our son has been out for 4 years, but shows little interest in these two. He now has another child by his girlfriend and pays him far more attention than his first 2 who are now 15 and almost 13. The 15-year-old has experienced major depression and is on an anti-depressant. Parents don't realize what they are doing to their own children by their selfish choices. I just thank God that we stepped in, went to court, and obtained custody. Otherwise, they would have been long gone through social services. Their mother had 2 other children out of wedlock while our son was imprisoned. Both were taken from her by social services because of her lifestyle, and she has never seen them since.

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
While children ARE precious gifts from God, I am raising two grandchildren (by two different fathers) with very little involvement from my daughter. While it is not difficult to love the boys, it is very difficult not to be angry with the situation. I know the boys were put with me for a reason, but I have to admit, that while they give me great joy, I am not a very happy person.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 AM

I am a single parent although my daughter is in her 30s now and doing wonderful but It would have been nice to have the support of family threw this time in my life, I had no family support they had no interest in there grand daughter and it was a hard struggle often but i never gave up, and am pround of her to this day, give the support you wont hopefully regret it.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 AM

When my newly divorces son announced we were going to be grandparent I nearly choked but kept my composure now they are married after 2 children. I treasure each grandchild and never want to make them think because they were born out of wedlock that I do not love them the same as if they had been. Just be supportive of her.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 PM

Be supportive and enjoy your grandchild. It is the innocent one and will need and enjoy a grandmother.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:24 PM

I agree with the other posters. Just try to be supportive of your grand daughter and help her through this difficult time. Sometimes our children don't do things the way we would like them to do, but we still love them. You will feel better about the situation when you hold the new baby in your arms and cuddle him/her with a soft, comfy quilt.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 PM

Yes...it is a tough one. When we encountered this...we made the choice to be supportive, even though we had advise against it...as Christians...I could choose to say No...I won't be apart of this and send them off on their own, or we decided to embrace them and the baby with love and they know we are not happy about the not getting married part, but this baby did nothing wrong to be born...and he deserves our support. We don't nag, and our son knows how we feel without nagging. We talk about it now and then if it comes up, but they are the ones who have to face our maker about the choices they made....we love and pray.