Surprise

Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 AM

My deceased sister's grandaughter called me several yrs. ago to inform me that she intentially got pregnant by a guy she was not married to. She expected me to be "excited" about the news of the expected baby. I was not & my concern was & remains for the poor child. The child just turned 3 on March 3rd & her father is in jail & her mother is now living with another guy. It is sad that both mother & child will probably never live in a stable environment.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Congrats. The words will come and there is always unconditional love.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:13 AM

I don't approve either, all I can say is hang in there and support her, you won't be sorry.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 AM

I found a saying many years ago that holds true. "A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on." We were blessed with only one child who now is living with a nice young man. Do I like it - No. But he treats her wonderful and we pray that someday they will take it to the next level.

You may be the one to shape this baby's mind and teach it values. We never know what God has in mind for us.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 PM

Our granddaughter did the same thing. Then she entered into a very bad marriage. However, her little eight year old girl just spent Spring Break with us and she is a delight. So focus on the baby and your joy over the up coming birth. You cannot not imagine how deeply you will fall in love with this tiny babe.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:16 PM

Yes, I also went through this. My daughter was 21 and we had been pretty much estranged. When she called and told my husband it took me two weeks to work through my feelings so that I could call her. I thought that my world had come to an end. When she called she said she hoped we would be involved as grandparents. She married the father and had another baby a couple of years later. I don't think she should ever have married him, but she did what she thought was right. She finished college, and worked while she had these babies. She also got her masters degree and eventually divorced. She is now married to a lovely man who is good to her and to the children. It is not what I wanted for her, but things have a way of working out.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:23 PM

If you just think about it. It is going to be hardest for her. And in the long run You are all she may have to come to. So be gentle. We would like it to be the man and wife thing, but it isn't. You'll love that child.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 PM

My youngest daughter got pregnant the summer before her senior year. I was shocked and disappointed. I wanted so much for her, but God had another path. When she told me I cried and then supported her. She doubled her studies through morning sickness to finish in December. During this time, the father of the baby disappeared, however a long time friend of hers (i have known him since he was a baby and his family has been a members of church for many years). He stepped in and their relationship grew to more than friendship. He was in the delivery room when my DGS was born in February, they were married the following July. The Lord brought us through the situation and I think placed her back on the path he wanted for her. I think much prayer is the only answer at this time for you. I will be praying for you and your family.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:52 PM

I think that the greatest tragedy for any person is to live without love. You have a choice- do you want to be part of a tragedy or do you want to help save that child from tragedy.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I would say I love you and I am here for you if you need me. Surely this is the truth so it shouldn't be hard for you to say. She apparently knows how you feel or she wouldn't hesitate to call and tell you about the baby. I feel sure she is scared as it's not going to be fun nor easy being a single mother. She needs the love and support of her family during this time and I hope you can be there for her.
I think that this quote says it all. So much of what is going on today is distasteful for my generation. But I thank the Lord that I am not that their age and living in these times. These young people have not thoughts of anything permanent, they just live for the moment. I feel badly because they are missing what 'family' truly means.