Sweatshirt Jacket Failure

Old 12-19-2013, 09:01 AM

Default Sweatshirt Jacket Failure

I tried to adjust the DROPPED shoulders (aren't they all dropped these days?) of a Gilban Sweatshirt to fit my shoulder measurement but find it impossible as now the sleeve is too small to fit back into the armhole. I note that in a booklet from Nancy's Notions she has you tuck the sleeve under the shoulder, pin the two together and then cut off the excess which means you are also shortening the sleeve. I would have to cut so much off for my narrow shoulders, the sleeves would probably end at my elbows. How do other people handle this problem?
I was successful when I made a matching vest and sweatshirt last year but only because I had two different sizes to work with. Thus I was able to use the medium size sleeves from the vest to replace the sleeves on the small size sweatshirt. Is this the only solution for evermore??
I'm tempted to buy a sweatshirt 2 or 3 sizes bigger to remake the shoulders and sleeves and then the darn neck probably would be way too big. What to do, what to do!!! Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:13 AM

If the problem is the width of the sleeve at the cap, is it possible to cut a slit down the center of the length of the sleeve then insert a V shape of batting and backing (lining fabric) in a quilt as you go technique? Rather like putting a gusset into a garment to make more room. Another option (possibly on a different garment) is to use Nancy Zieman's technique which you described then adding length to the sleeve in this QAYG method.

I've successfully lengthened a sweatshirt jacket using this technique and in the final garment there was no indication that it had been done....and I did it after the main garment had been quilted and cut...
Old 12-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Can't help you, I have not tried this. Doubt I would get it right.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

One reason I finally gave a too large top away. I was going to take in the shoulder seam but hate doing that!
Old 12-20-2013, 03:12 AM

I've done things like that before when the sweatshirt was going to be covered by fabric but unfortunately this time anything of that nature would be visible in the completed project.
I read that Londa`s has a basic sweatshirt pattern but I believe it is cut completely apart and then reassembled. I may investigate that after Christmas.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:32 AM

I always get a Man's SW that is at least 2 sizes larger than I need, cut it apart, decorate it with whatever, measure shoulder and then mark on SW where to cut and trim the shoulder. Sew the sleeve back on. Some time the cuff has to be adjusted for your length of sleeve. I save the bottom SW trim for the neck and make my cuffs out of left over fabric from the design fabric. I also make a facing for the neck and open area down the front.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:58 AM

When I've used a sweatshirt as the basis for a jacket, they have always turned out so bulky I can hardly stand it . The theory is good, so keep trying, but I never have made one comfortable enough to actually wear...
Old 12-21-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
When I've used a sweatshirt as the basis for a jacket, they have always turned out so bulky I can hardly stand it . The theory is good, so keep trying, but I never have made one comfortable enough to actually wear...
I'm just curious...did you use batting that made them bulky? I am having trouble understanding how a sweatshirt with a thin layer of cotton becomes bulky. Did I misunderstand?
Old 12-23-2013, 06:48 PM

I use a muslin foundation for my jackets, otherwise I can't get it to fit my narrow shoulders. I don't like all the bulk of using a sweatshirt as the foundation.