t-shirt fabric

Old 05-10-2024, 06:30 AM

Default t-shirt fabric

t-shirt quilts query. what happens to the backs and sleeves? do people just send them to the dump?

I looked at JoAnns for knit material for some new wreathes and not being a t-shirt wearer I didn't buy any because it all felt thin to me, and being lazy I figured thin material means more work/fabric required for the wreath. But it did make me think of the question of where the cut offs go.
Can anyone give the bolt numbers for a nice weight? Or maybe when
I get home from vacation I'll stop in at a t-shirt printing shop and ask them where the boo-boo prints go.

edited to add if anyone is interested there are lots of patterns and styles for wreaths from knits. I don't have a link to the one I want to make because I printed it and dleleted the link ;( sorry) but you cut the length of fabric 1-2" wide then in 6" pieces, fold in half and slipknot on.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 05-10-2024 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:31 AM

I'm working on my first t-shirt quilt and the only suggestion I've seen for the backs and sleeves is that they make great rags. Good, soft cotton fabric for polishing, etc.

I'm not working with very many shirts but there is a huge stack of leftovers. Think I'll have to give them to someone who uses rags a lot.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:31 AM

I cut t-shirts up into strips and make "yarn"
then crochet, knit and wrap rope for bowls using the strips....they also make fun doll hair.
and some of them will get used to practice ice dyeing then maybe try using the results for a junk journal or collage or something
t-shirts and t shirt pieces are fun to work with.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:35 AM

I cut my leftover t shirt backs into 1 inch strip and then stretch them to make ties for the garden plants. I had some RWB strips I even used to make a "necklace" or sorts to wear during the summer holidays. It turned out much nicer than it sounds :-)
Old 05-14-2024, 06:37 PM

I do many tshirt quilts. The sleeves and other smaller pcs I send to work with my husband who works at a paint store they use them as rags. The backs I cut into squares and make project Linus quilts. Many times I appliqué animals or the alphabet on them.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:03 AM

thank you all, glad to know they aren't all just going to the dump
Old 05-15-2024, 07:51 AM

I also use the arms, sleeves, etc. for rags.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:59 AM

We are quilters! There is no way we would send the extras to the landfill! We recycle! Mostly, I use them for rags.