Taxes got you down?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Billy, you might want to re-think Maine. Our taxes are BAD!! I was living on the ocean (100'feet from it)in a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home 2150 square feet on a lot 50' by 100', yes 50' by 100' and my taxes were almost $8,000!! Some of the houses on the beach paid over 10,000 in property taxes and some double that - ridiculous!! I sold in August for big bucks and moved to a lake about an hour from where I was. We now have over an acre with a 2,800 square ft house and taxes of about $3,500. Will never have neighbors on one side or in back and can't see any neighbors in the spring, summer or fall because of the trees. Very calm living on the lake!
Maine has more taxes for everything. When I lived in MD. it cost me $74.00 to register my car for 2 years. (am sure it is higher now) In Maine it is over $600.00 for one year!!!
Living in the woods is probably cheaper property tax wise, but they will get you some other way! Investigate it some.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by beachlady
Billy, you might want to re-think Maine. Our taxes are BAD!! I was living on the ocean (100'feet from it)in a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home 2150 square feet on a lot 50' by 100', yes 50' by 100' and my taxes were almost $8,000!! Some of the houses on the beach paid over 10,000 in property taxes and some double that - ridiculous!! I sold in August for big bucks and moved to a lake about an hour from where I was. We now have over an acre with a 2,800 square ft house and taxes of about $3,500. Will never have neighbors on one side or in back and can't see any neighbors in the spring, summer or fall because of the trees. Very calm living on the lake!
Maine has more taxes for everything. When I lived in MD. it cost me $74.00 to register my car for 2 years. (am sure it is higher now) In Maine it is over $600.00 for one year!!!
Living in the woods is probably cheaper property tax wise, but they will get you some other way! Investigate it some.
OMG!! And I thought WI was bad for registration! We pay $95 per year per vehicle. Our problem is, our dear govenor has run out a lot of our industries because there are no tax breaks for them. Our young people are leaving in droves. So what does that leave us for a tax base, not much. I just got home from the grocery store and I'll be in shock for a while.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

My tags for my old cars are $25 one time fee and thats all I have to pay. My other cars are registered to my farm and its $26 a year wheel tax. I am not complaining..............

Billy
Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 PM

Thank you all. I really appreciate living in mid-Tn now. In Fl, paid $1100 for 1200 sq ft ranch w/pool (bought back in the 80s) and thought 2000 was high for this house (3000 sq ft) in Tn. Now I am glad I live where I do. We pay all year long on anything we buy, including food, but no state income tax, and that helps. Guess the grass is always greener!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:47 PM

I live in Maine, we have a 1500SF house on 6 1/2 acres and our real estate taxes are $2400/yr. we owned in NH a 1500SF house on 1/4 with real estate taxes of $4500/yr. We live on the border of ME/NH so can make purchases in NH with no sales tax or pay the 5% sales tax in ME. I have 3 beautiful wooded lots for sale, near skiing, boating, golf, hiking and tax-free NH outlet shopping.
Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Like Billy said the cost of living here is through the roof but I am in upstate NY not "the hood"
I have always wanted to move to Maine or somewhere close to that area. I have always seen photos of the wilderness up there and I just drool. Maybe one day I can come up and check it out just to see but for now I am just happy to be a Tennessee Hillbilly!

Billy
Moving to Maine sounds like a nice solution but, the gist of what I'm reading here, is that everywhere has its problems. Yes, Maine is beautiful but their taxes are high too. Forget about buying property on the ocean, only Midas can afford it. Nice place for a vacation, thought, except in the Spring when the black flies can are so thick you can practically walk on water. :-)

Tomorrow, Pres. Obama is visiting just down the street at the local High School. Not looking forward to the traffic later in the day but at least he's meeting with the people. If I didn't work full-time, I'd go see him. If just for curiousity. I don't trust what anyone government has to say.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Didn't the president come from Illinois? That explains the high tax. I have been told that the Democratic states have the highest taxes. I can vouch for that living in Maryland.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
We have just under a half an acre here in NY with a 3 bedroom ranch home and our taxes are about $7200 a year (just one more reason I want OUT of NY!!) We also have sales tax and income tax and sleep tax and any other tax you can think of. One of the biggest irritations to me is I live in upstate NY and part of what I am taxed on goes to support NYC and their water distribution! And now they have increased the fee for me to register my vehicle so I can help support the MTA (metro-transit authority) for all of the people who commute by train. Like $35 round trip per day is not enough for them when the people are standing for a 2 hour train ride!! GRRRR!
Hugs
April
Yes me too! I live on on long Island, 2000 sq.ft 3 bd rm 1/4 of an acre 8400.a year. Vacation home in Walton NY on 8 acres 2400 a year. Selling this home and moving out of state in less than 2 years Hate the politics of ny!
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :cry: :cry: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM

We retired to the Ozarks and pay less in taxes than we did in a large SW city. There we would not have been able to retire and pay the utilities and taxes on a 1200 sf home on a small lot. Here we have 75 acres, 1600 sf home, huge double garage, barn and outbuildings, taxes less than $1,000 a yr. Can afford to go out for dinner once in a while :-)
Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jannie
People always make it sound living in CA is more expensive than any where else. After reading this post, I don't think so. Taxes (sales tax 9.25%)are high, cost of living is hight, but wages for the most part are higher than other areas of the country. Seems like the more you make the more you pay for everything. It all comes out in the wash. We bought our house before 1973 so are under Prop. 13 which means are property taxes are a lot less. However, because of 13 so are everyone elses. The state has a limit on how much they can raise property taxes. I know a lot of people want to discontinue Prop. 13, but if they do, taxes will skyrocket & it will give CA government more money to spend. Seems like the government everywhere doesn't have the concept to leave with in their means like we have to.
Jannie,

You hit the nail right on the head.
Our government (which I am very grateful for, don't get me wrong!) needs to learn the lesson that the rest of Americans have had to learn in the last few years: live within your means.
(For us: cutting out unnecessary expenses. Our only 'unnecessary' expenditure? Cable/Internet. I'm considering it my sanity, therefore necessary. :D)
Why is this so hard for our government- federal and local- to understand?! Cut out the unnecessary expenses- keep a close eye on everything else- and voila. Lower property taxes would be a cause- not an effect.
The sad thing is that instead of 'living within it's means,' our governments are constantly trying to make everyone else make up for their financial shortcomings. If their books are short cash- instead of saying where can we cut our costs? They turn to the tax-payers to make up the deficit.
Now I know I'm painting with a big fat brush there, but there's truth to it.
>sigh...< why can't the US of A just take the lead from a bunch of quilters?!
hehe!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM

Ours are $9400.00 :shock: :shock: :shock: and we don't have any acreage..just a normal lot.