Taxes got you down?

Old 01-29-2010, 04:37 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Vote out every incumbant and get people in who have lived in the real world! None of us can keep paying out at this rate!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

Property taxes out here have been climbing rapidly...we also have sales tax :roll:
Last I heard taxes on a 2000sq ft home on a standard lot were running around $4000 - $5000 a year Older homes in the country on 2-3 acres are running about the same. You do get a break on the acreage over the first 3....
Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 PM

I know we paid quite a bit more in property taxes on a home when we lived up in Puget Sound in northern Washington, but homes were more expensive. However, there was no state income tax. Here, there is income tax, but lower property tax. I think we pay more in income tax than we did in property tax. However, when we have SO many illegals here that pay nothing in property tax or in income tax, it really drains our economy because taxes have to go up to support education, medical, and increased community services for those who don't pay into the system. So, I think if property tax was higher and income tax was lower, we would end up in a better situation with our state budget. (BTW - I just heard on the news that in order to collect an estimated 134M in taxes next year for the state of Colorado, the state legislature just voted on charging 2.9% tax on soda and candy sales.) More taxes!!! Yikes.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 PM

Just what you need, more taxes rite? I think we have every take there is. The only thing we don't pay tax on is food but with our govenor I'm sure it won't be long. The last time I checked, Wisconsin is the 5th highest taxed state in the union! Most countys, if not all, have a county tax on top of the state sales tax. Yet, because we live "up north" we get very little benefit from all of it. Now the idiot wants to put through a rail system that will benefit maybe 3 counties in the southern part of the state. But of corse all of us will pay for it. We have to practically riot to get road work done. The thing is, this problem is not going to go away until WE do something to make it go away.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM

People always make it sound living in CA is more expensive than any where else. After reading this post, I don't think so. Taxes (sales tax 9.25%)are high, cost of living is hight, but wages for the most part are higher than other areas of the country. Seems like the more you make the more you pay for everything. It all comes out in the wash. We bought our house before 1973 so are under Prop. 13 which means are property taxes are a lot less. However, because of 13 so are everyone elses. The state has a limit on how much they can raise property taxes. I know a lot of people want to discontinue Prop. 13, but if they do, taxes will skyrocket & it will give CA government more money to spend. Seems like the government everywhere doesn't have the concept to leave with in their means like we have to.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jannie
People always make it sound living in CA is more expensive than any where else. After reading this post, I don't think so. Taxes (sales tax 9.25%)are high
Here in TN the sales tax is (9.75%) and the prevailing wages are a lot lower than what you have, and we pay tax on food which a lot of states do not have to. But we have no income tax which is a good thing!

Billy
Old 01-30-2010, 02:50 PM

we r in texas and our taxes r about 1200 a year and we have 2 acres
Old 01-31-2010, 11:41 PM

Depending on how long you've had your house in CA, you could be paying a little or a lot. Our neighbors to the right pay about $6.000/yr, we pay about $3,000 and our neighbors across the street who are original owners pay about $1,000 for almost identical homes. We all have homes on about 1/4 to 1/3 acre. You would not want our property tax system because with that comes a state economy that is bankrupt and schools and infrastructure that is underfunded. What to do???
Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Like Billy said the cost of living here is through the roof but I am in upstate NY not "the hood"
I have always wanted to move to Maine or somewhere close to that area. I have always seen photos of the wilderness up there and I just drool. Maybe one day I can come up and check it out just to see but for now I am just happy to be a Tennessee Hillbilly!

Billy
Moving to Maine sounds like a nice solution but, the gist of what I'm reading here, is that everywhere has its problems. Yes, Maine is beautiful but their taxes are high too. Forget about buying property on the ocean, only Midas can afford it. Nice place for a vacation, thought, except in the Spring when the black flies can are so thick you can practically walk on water. :-)

Tomorrow, Pres. Obama is visiting just down the street at the local High School. Not looking forward to the traffic later in the day but at least he's meeting with the people. If I didn't work full-time, I'd go see him. If just for curiousity. I don't trust what anyone government has to say.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM

Less than a half acre, 1800 sq ft house in CT and we pay $5K. Sucks! I hate CT. Too expensive.