Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tempted to do an act of kindness >

Tempted to do an act of kindness

Tempted to do an act of kindness

Old 08-10-2011, 06:52 PM

It was very kind of you to share, even though you did not have much. It will be repaid to you in kind, I believe this to be true. You are truly a good person.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Thank you for your words. I believe that also but that sure isn't why we do it. Jan
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by zoeytoo

Adding, giving to a food pantry each time we get monthly groceries would be a way to reach out to people too proud to ask on the streets.
Our local food pantry also runs a thrift store. There is literally a mountain of donated clothing in their back room. I was there one day just picking around and overheard a young couple with a baby asking if they might be able to get a few appropriate clothes for their baby. They were told because they were not yet residents of this state that they could not be helped, and sent on their way with a couple of addresses for local churches. I was furious - as I was leaving I called a friend of mine to vent... I wound up tracking them back down and giving them the cash I had on me (and a $20 from my friend) for fuel to get them to their new home about 300 miles away. They had found a local church that was helping them with clothes for the baby (I had just given away all the clothes I had that would fit). It was just very frustrating to me - the pile of clothes in the back of that store is to the ceiling of an industrial warehouse! And they couldn't find a way to spare a few baby clothes!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn

Adding, giving to a food pantry each time we get monthly groceries would be a way to reach out to people too proud to ask on the streets.
Our local food pantry also runs a thrift store. There is literally a mountain of donated clothing in their back room. I was there one day just picking around and overheard a young couple with a baby asking if they might be able to get a few appropriate clothes for their baby. They were told because they were not yet residents of this state that they could not be helped, and sent on their way with a couple of addresses for local churches. I was furious - as I was leaving I called a friend of mine to vent... I wound up tracking them back down and giving them the cash I had on me (and a $20 from my friend) for fuel to get them to their new home about 300 miles away. They had found a local church that was helping them with clothes for the baby (I had just given away all the clothes I had that would fit). It was just very frustrating to me - the pile of clothes in the back of that store is to the ceiling of an industrial warehouse! And they couldn't find a way to spare a few baby clothes!
I used to know a thrift store like that - and their prices were too high too!! Now I give all my extra clothes to a "clothes closet" where everything is free, no questions asked.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Originally Posted by shnnn

I used to know a thrift store like that - and their prices were too high too!! Now I give all my extra clothes to a "clothes closet" where everything is free, no questions asked.
I stopped giving to the Salvation Army because when I was there donating I heard glass breaking and went to see what was happening. The store lady was breaking cups, glasses, ash trays, vases into a big bin. I asked why and she said they were making room for newer things. I asked why they didn't put them outside with a free sign and she said "Well, then people would not come in and buy would they?" I told her they should at least give them to a church rummage sale or the fire department to give to people in need after fires. People gave them to the Salvation Army thinking someone would benefit from them. I lost respect for the organization that day. I know they use to help people a lot. Do they still or is it a business?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM

It sounds like your gift went to a legit person. You never said she asked for the money or was holding a sign. There was a guy in Lincoln, NE that stood at an intersection near 56th and Hwy 2 with a sign "will work for food". I saw him there several different times. Once when a cop car came near he took off running and got into a brand new pick up and drove away!
May God bless you!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:28 PM

iowabelle....good on ya!!! Sometimes we need to "listen" to that little voice...AND pay attention. ;)

We don't have a lot of homeless people here, but there are some. A couple of weeks ago, on my way to a quilting day, I passed a fellow looking much as you described this young woman. My quilting day is the one day each month that I treat myself to a Starbucks. That day I got two coffees...one for me and one for him. Plus a scone for him. He was so thankful, I knew it was appreciated. And it lifted my heart to know I had made his day a little easier.

Patti
Old 08-14-2011, 02:13 PM

I think you did great.