Thank you or no thank you?

Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Listen to this one, it's the best response you've gotten.

Jan in VA

Originally Posted by dforesee
Speaking from your aunt's point of view (as I have had stage 4 cancer before; now in remission)... she opened this pandora's box herself with her gift, so it would not be offensive to thank her for the gifts and assure her they will always be treasured as will your memories of her. I am guessing that this gesture could indicate that she needs to talk about her possible impending death. If that is the case and you are willing, maybe you could carve out some time to pick up the phone to thank her and "let her talk." It may seem to you that she is looking on the negative side of things, but that negativity may be born of fear and uncertainty.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Jan, I agree with you.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM

Definately a Thanks You, a note, letting her know you are glad she thought of you, and that she's in your thoughts and prayers, even so far a way, with the offer for her to call you, or you call her and that it would be no bother, she may not want to burden any one. If you loose her or not, hopefully not. She will know you are sending positive thoughts her way.
Good Luck {{{ Hugs to all }}}
Old 12-14-2010, 09:07 PM

I would send her a thank you note and tell her it was so thoughtful of her to share part of herself with you, and every time you look at them you will think of her. Make it simple and thoughtful.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 PM

Maybe she wants to get her things in order while she is still able and not wait until she either needs help doing it or burdening someone else with it. And for some reason she picked these items for you and right now she really doesn't have to explain her decisions- maybe later if someone else was there they might "question " her decisions or not follow thru.[/quote]

My mother is doing that right now. She has some minor health issues but nothing too serious (she is 81) and she is starting to give aways things to her grandchildren and says she doesn't want any fighting over them when she is gone. She would rather give them now and then it is taken care of. I think it has a lot to do with certain family members letting her know what they want. This way it is her choice as to who gets what!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:08 AM

How old is the Aunt? Stage 4 is pretty advanced isn't it?

The Aunt said she wanted people to stop calling her - I'm taking that as she didn't want people calling her about her illness. Why not a call about thanking her for the items.

I also think a followup separate Thank You handwritten note is a good idea - separate of the Christmas card mailing. I agree with elaborating a bit on the items. They were important to her and she wanted to give them to someone who SHE thought would appreciate them.

If you think there's any time she (or a relative) may drop by - have the items out where they can be seen.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 AM

I agree with Diane ("dforesee") wholeheartedly. This gifts are much more about HER than the items themselves. I'd sit down with her (phone, SKYPE, in person) and ask about each item and why she thought to send it - you can learn a lot about a person, and perhaps family heritage that way. When my mother-in-law passed away, my daughters chose some "Least Likely to Be Passed On" items to take from her estate ... ALL of which held memories of when they were young or private moments they had with her at any age prior to her death.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 PM

i have started to give my jewlry to the kids and grandkids the kids got mostly things from my DH and GK are getting something of mine that way there will be no fighting over it. i am in end stage copd per dr i don't feel like it though.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:20 PM

I guess I don't hear doom and gloom. I hear someone taking charge of what they feel they need to do. A thank you for the package is appropriate without a lot of additional sadness attached to it. It sounds as if she is being pragmatic not gloomy. Thank you is enough :thumbup: . She will appreciate that I am sure.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 PM

I would also ask if there is any history about any of those things. It would be a great trip down memory lane and something more to pass along. So much is lost when it is not passed down. Then write it down so you will always remember. Mine are in the vases of each object like a miny treasure hunt to be opened and treasured by future generatioons.