Thanksgiving prep

Old 11-23-2010, 09:35 PM

Went ahead and made one sweet potato pie early. Yum.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Went ahead and made one sweet potato pie early. Yum.
I have to cook my sweet potatoes for the casserole, will put it together tomorrow. Will cook up the stuffing, get that ready for tomorrow, will put together the wild rice casserole, making an orange jello with cool whip for the grandkids, they won't eat the rutabaga salad (my favorite). Then tomorrow AM early - like 3:00 AM, I will bake the pumpkin pie and Paula Deen's Bourbon Pecan Pie. Can't wait to taste that. Have to get the turkey in early - eating at 3:00 and Tom weighs 23 lbs. It is 4:30 AM and I think I best get my act together. Edie
Old 11-24-2010, 02:40 AM

To all fellow Minnesotans Yesterday I was baking pumpkin pies and today cherry pies as my family wants to celebrate Thanksgiving US Style this year. The Temperature here in Melbourne, Australia was 32C. and I had the air con on About 90 F I bet you don't do that kind of baking in good ole Minnesota for Thanksgiving do you??????????? At least it is to be cooler on Thurs here, your Wed there. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
:thumbup: :roll:
Old 11-24-2010, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by aussiegirl
To all fellow Minnesotans Yesterday I was baking pumpkin pies and today cherry pies as my family wants to celebrate Thanksgiving US Style this year. The Temperature here in Melbourne, Australia was 32C. and I had the air con on About 90 F I bet you don't do that kind of baking in good ole Minnesota for Thanksgiving do you??????????? At least it is to be cooler on Thurs here, your Wed there. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
:thumbup: :roll:
One good thing about a Minnesota Thanksgiving is all the cooking you do and the refrigerator doesn't hold it all, especially the turkey. We have a walk in refrigerator freezer. In the summer, it is called a Porch!!!!!!!!!! Also, if you are making an All American Thanksgiving dinner, for what it is worth, after the dinner is over, cut the meat off the carcass (takes up less room in the refrigerator) and save the carcass and if you have a freezer that will hold it put it in a plastic bag and save it for down the road (later on) and you can make the best darn soup in the world. Also, most important, as soon as the dinner is done, take the stuffing OUT of the bird. It can brew bacteria and ruin the turkey and the stuffing. Put the stuffing in just before you put it in the oven and take it out as soon as you are done with dinner.

So, to all of you Aussies, Happy Thanksgiving. It is such a good inside feeling to be thankful for what we have. God bless our soldiers, bring them home when the time is right and have an enjoyable day. One thing - will you get the Macy's parade and football (I mean American football), too? Happy day!!!!! Edie
Old 11-24-2010, 03:02 AM

Yes we can see the parade and football on some channels here on paid tv.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:35 AM

Made my pie crust yesterday.. that is all.. Now today I will make dressing, Chocolate pie, pecan pie, and apple pie, a couple of casseroles, homemade rolls..and gravy!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by aussiegirl
Yes we can see the parade and football on some channels here on paid tv.
Good! When you see Santa at the end of the parade, you know Christmas is coming! Even though I am a Christian and know the difference, I always get a tear in my eye when Santa comes down the street - I think it reverts back to when #1 son was little and we always watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. Funny how traditions start, right? Should be a good game, t00! Edie
Old 11-24-2010, 06:15 AM

OHHHHHH! Could you please post your recipe for the yeast rolls? You would make my Thanksgiving heavenly if you would!

Originally Posted by KimmieH
picking up the turkey from "the farm" today--all its feathers have been plucked I hope!!
Tomorrrow I will be making sweet potatoe casserole w/praline topping, hubbard squash, cranberries, applesauce,starting the dough for yeast rolls
and most importantly:
Pumpkin Pie, Apple Crumb Pie, and a turtle cheesecake

glad i have the day off tomorrow
Old 11-24-2010, 06:21 AM

We are having Thanksgiving Dinner at my daughter's house and we have a LOT to be thankful for!!!!!
The other day she was travelling to bring a meal to a family who just lost a loved one.
Someone travelling in the opposite direction must have gotten confused on the turn in the road and went straight, heading right for her! She had my grandkids in the car.
All she could do was pull off the road up against the fence of a lumber yard and continually blow her horn and PRAY!
Two feet from hitting her headon, the driver swerved and missed her!
When she went back the next morning to see where she had pulled off, she realized that she had pulled into a small patch of solid dirt between two large gullies! GOD SENT THE ANGELS WHO WERE RIDING WITH HER!!!!!

I am making Cirtrus Semifreddo, Pumpkin Pie, Carrots glazed with honey & mustard, Spinach Maria (a special recipe from a restaurant in TN) and Snowcapped butternut squash casserole to take with us.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Ha...I just wish that all I did was put gas in the car!!

I'm making pies today..fixed the cornbread and white bread for the dressing yesterday. Its just us, so I just throw together the parts we really like. Actually, I like the leftovers best.