Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is there a good Iron anymore? >

Is there a good Iron anymore?

Is there a good Iron anymore?

Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM

Default Is there a good Iron anymore?

It is so awful to buy a new iron and it only last a little while. Does anyone have an iron that is worth the money you paid? I have to get ANOTHER new one and soon.
For now I just want to know if anyone can recommend a good one that doesn't cost a hundred dollars or more? I've had several that cost around $50.00 and some much cheaper. After a few months, they begin to spit and sputter. It's disgusting to iron something and have to wait for it to dry before using it.

Thanks for any help you might share.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

​When my old iron goes I will buy a Walmart special. I don't put water in my iron so spitting isn't a problem.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:10 PM

I bought my latest one at a junk store for $5. It's from the 1950's I'd guess. It weighs a ton and gets screaming hot. I love it and will likely buy another junk store old iron at some point in case this one fails.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Power Poster

I should go buy a junk store one. I buy whatever is cheapest at walmart. they last me about 5 yrs if i'm lucky. I spend about 9-12 dollars on one.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:07 PM

I bought the cheapest iron I could find 13 yrs ago, that had an automatic shut off on it. can't remember whether I got it from walmart or joann's. it sparked and died once, but my "keeper' of a husband just re attached the wiring where it went into the iron. same cord and everything. i usually have two irons plugged in when i am sewing, and i am thinking about replacing the 30 yr old one with a goodwill iron the next time i see one.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:15 AM

I've went through several new irons, JUNK! I'm now using one from the 70's or 80's. It gets much hotter than newer irons. It looks horrible, some of the plastic is cracking and breaking off, but it still works. These new irons still look new when they decide to quit. Should this old iron ever quit I'm buying an older one from a thrift store. Vintage irons are made to last. And since the get hotter there's no reason to use steam that can distort fabric.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 AM

If I were rich, I would buy one of the steam pressure irons. I used a Rowenta steam pressure unit at a work shop and it was wonderful.....cost at JoAnn's a frigging $500.00 iron unit and you can't use coupons. I will not be able to afford one. However, I don't think the reviews gave them any better of a life use that other cheaper irons. So I guess I'll stick with a Walmart iron.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:15 AM

The last iron I purchased (after having 2 Rowentas that ended up leaking) was a Black and Decker at Bed Bath and Beyond with my 20% coupon. so far I am loving it. Have had it almost a year and no leaking or spitting. I will not purchase an expensive iron again.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:15 AM

I usually have to replace my iron every couple of years, no matter how much I paid! If you can find an older Rowenta that says Made In Germany, they were good irons. Mine lasted about 10 years. The more expensive one lasted only 7 months. Right now, I have been using an inexpensive ($24) Black and Decker from Walmart and it has lasted about a year and a half.
good luck on your search ans let us know if hound a great iron!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:32 AM

I have my fav and it is wonderful .Digital Advantage by Black & Decker, maybe 10 years old . I hope to get the same if and when ,,, it dies.Good luck.