Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: thin nails

Blog Entries
    Any suggestions for stronger nails. My are really thin. I'm a life long nail biter, I feel quitting smoking must be easier. I've pretty much finallly almost stopped. Long car trips seem to be my downfall. Still working on that. When they get past my finger tips several of them continually split. I take daily vitamins inculding biotin.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Have you tried any of the Sally Hansen products?? They are really good and don't cost an arm and a leg. You can get them at any drug store.
    I don't have problems with my nails but have in the past. Those products are good. I also use gloves a lot in the winter and for jobs around the house with cleaners, etc.

I just thought of something else. Have you had a physical lately?? Nails are like little windows into health problems sometimes. Quitting biting is a good thing!! Just some thoughts here :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Have you tried any of the Sally Hansen products?? They are really good and don't cost an arm and a leg. You can get them at any drug store.
    I don't have problems with my nails but have in the past. Those products are good. I also use gloves a lot in the winter and for jobs around the house with cleaners, etc.
    These didn't help me. I am trying vitamins now. We shall see.

Blog Entries
    when i was 18 i got bracres, thqt curedme. they are still thin, but vitamins help

Blog Entries
    I've tried all the affordable products. I just had a physical,no problems. I do take Aleve several times a week, when old arthur bothers me too much. That's it for meds.

There is a vitamin for Skin, Hair, & Nails. CVS sometimes has it. Last I got was at Walmart. I started taking it agian for thinning hair, but my nails are now much better than they were.

Quote Originally Posted by true4uca
    Any suggestions for stronger nails. My are really thin. I'm a life long nail biter, I feel quitting smoking must be easier. I've pretty much finallly almost stopped. Long car trips seem to be my downfall. Still working on that. When they get past my finger tips several of them continually split. I take daily vitamins inculding biotin.

Blog Entries
    oh my nails are terrible and cuticles and my Doctor never pays any attention.

Blog Entries
    I bought the same vitamins that Donnajean talked about, I hope they work. They grow, but when they break it hurts.

Blog Entries
    My nails have been much better since my doc put me on Caltrate 600+D. Also, I retired and don't do any of the things that used to break them when I was working!!

Wal mart sells a vitamins called hairs skin and nails. I've been using it for months it works.

Blog Entries
    I bought 'skin,hair and nails' too.
    I have never ever had long nails. and I am an old lady.
    BUT with the skin,etc,etc I now have long strong nails.
    I can hardly believe my eyes.

I even had a dr. tells me once that I would never be able to have much of anything for nails because the exema on my hands was so bad that it ruined my nail beds.

I'd give the specialized vit. a try if I was You.

ICU- I used to have horrible ecxema on my hands. They cracked and bled and got swollen. I had it for about 15-20 years and being a nurse sure didn't help!! Gloves are great but I still washed my hands constantly. So glad it finally settled down. I really don't know why but I'm just glad it did! Never affected my nails though.

Blog Entries
    I heard once that coating your nails with Vasiline every night and sleeping with gloves on really helped. It is good fo very dry hands also. ANd, if your nails are growing, be very careful about filing them. Too much and too hard, and different directions can cause breakage. If all else fails, go get acrylic nails. I have them and I love having pretty nails all the time. That is the pampering I give too myself, that and a pedicure at the same time. Heaven!!

Blog Entries
    I will surely buy those vitamins when we are state side in Oct. When working I did the acrylic nails, it was great. Now we are retired just can't afford the up keep of acrylic nails. Those $ go to fabric.

Talk to your doctor first, but I find that taking Calcium makes a huge difference in my nails. If I stop taking it for awhile I can tell because my nails start to split or bend.

You just need to check with your doctor first to see if Calcium is right for you and to see if you need any additional supplements with it.

Your nutrition is the only thing that will improve your nails. My nails were at their best when I took gelatin capsules. Eating Jell-O helps, but you need way too much of it. GNC carries them. Make sure you select the highest gelatin content and use it every day. They will grow fast and strong.

I was going to say that I fixed biting my nails by going to acrylics. Now the only time I do it is when they are starting to lift.

Are you still working Susan.

I take supplements for my Thyroid along with thyroid medicine and my nails are strong, thick and grows great. But they did not get in good shape until I started the supplements. Had been taking the medicine for years. So you might want to do a little research on that. I have read that even tho your test will show you are in the proper range, if it is on the low side, you can have symptoms of a hypo thyroidism.

My mom used to drink "Knox" gelatine for her nails every day :!: You buy it in the same place you get jello. try that but you have to stick with it :!: I would say at least 6wks to see a diff. 8-)

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Calcium does the trick for my nails. I drink a big glass of milk every night and my nails are thick, strong and long. If I miss a couple of days they start breaking, and when they break it hurts.

I had soft thin nails for 70 years, tried several things to no avail. I read an article about nails saying to apply white iodine to nails for 10 days then once a week. The white iodine (from a pharmacy)sometimes called clear or decolorized iodine has worked for me. Just go by these directions. My nails are thicker,stronger and longer. It is wonderful to have nails I can use to pick things up now. Bottle cost $5.00 and has lasted well over a year and not near finished.

Blog Entries
    for me I get prenatal multivitamin/multimineral, and it works great! and it also gives me a giggle at the check out, as chasier looks at it then at me, (am in my 60's) always leave them wondering, LOL

Kelp good for hair and skin and nails:-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast