thin nails

Old 10-04-2010, 09:59 PM

Maybe I'll see if I can find them next time I'm in the USA. My local drugstore doesn't have them so I assumed they were no longer made.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca
Any suggestions for stronger nails. My are really thin. I'm a life long nail biter, I feel quitting smoking must be easier. I've pretty much finallly almost stopped. Long car trips seem to be my downfall. Still working on that. When they get past my finger tips several of them continually split. I take daily vitamins inculding biotin.
Having stopped both the nail biting (in my teens) and smoking ( when I turned 60) I can tell you that giving up smoking was so much harder. Buy some nail polish even if it's only a clear one. Cleaning the manicure tray in the hair salon where I worked was my job and I became determined to stop so I could paint my nails. Ended up doing a Revlon course and doing manicures as well as hair.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 AM

I just bought a product called "Nail Envy" from OPI. It is wonderful. I usually have very weak nails that break easily, not now.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Taking calcium does not help my nails but the Herb Shope recommended that I try Zinc and Magnesium. I take one at night and the other in the am. She wasn't sure which I would need so I take both and I have strong nails again.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Izy

Well this is such a coincidence!!

I HAVE the longest, strongest nails I have had in YEARS....since I started taking 1000mg of glucasamine 4 months ago, which is supposed to help protect your joints!!

It is has definitely cured my thin, splitting nails, not sure if it is doing my joints any good but I will continue purely for the benefit of improving my nails, so try it. It took about 3 months before I suddenly noticed they were actually growing and not flaking or splitting, so takes a while but definitely works!! :D
Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 PM

If you have bad nails...don't do the acrylic nails...It could" possibly 'make the problem worse...I have bad nails from chemo and I use the Sally Hanson product in the green bottle that comes in a box..You can find it at drug stores or sometimes at wal mart...It hardens my nails and makes them grow really fast..I also use a good cuticle oil and use a good nite cream at nite...
Old 10-05-2010, 05:43 PM

I used to do the acrylic nails and then the gel, they do look nice but ultimately ruin your nails. I use Nailtique and that helps. You need apply one coat every day for a certain time. It is not cheap but it worked for me.