Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year >

Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year

Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year

Old 10-15-2011, 07:58 PM

Nothing seems stable about our Christmas celebration. We have the grand kids, so everybody want a piece of us, and the day/time is subject to others work schedules. Feels like I never know what is happening until the last minute. Complete opposite of my childhood. We lived so far away from family and with my dad being a cop working almost every Christmas, we never traveled to family. Sigh. Perhaps this is the year I get my way and try to create our own traditions that do not include 5 Christmas dinners.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:56 AM

:thumbup: Love the Santa boots
Old 10-18-2011, 03:21 PM

No traditions here. My DH passed away and my mom passed a few Christmases ago. Now my daughter doesn't want those old customs anymore. She says she and the new husband will have their own customs. They meant the world to me, and many were from my husband's and my own family. Oh well ~ "...the times they are a'changin".
Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by dinah
No traditions here. My DH passed away and my mom passed a few Christmases ago. Now my daughter doesn't want those old customs anymore. She says she and the new husband will have their own customs. They meant the world to me, and many were from my husband's and my own family. Oh well ~ "...the times they are a'changin".
Give her a few years. She may well decide to revive those old traditions, especially after they have children.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Banned

It's not as stable as it was when I was a child as the kids are all over the country vs within 10 miles of the grandparents.
I do try to make a Christmas ornament for everyone each year though.

My traditions even if the kids aren't here? I put up the Tree and decorate the house around Thanksgiving or on Thanksgiving day. I do it all on my own.(I prefer it that way.)
When I was growing up Daddy would put up the tree, put the lights on and sit back and watch Mom and I decorate the tree. I treasure those memories.

In my childhood there was the orange in the bottom of the stockings at Granny's. (Maternal) She always made soft molasses cookies with grape jelly in the top middle. My Aunt always set up her train set at Granny's house (which was across the road from us).
We would also go to my Aunts house on my fathers side where we always got new sweaters (She worked in a sweater factory) and the BEST peanut butter fudge!
We were allowed to open just one gift on Christmas eve.

I miss those celebrations, my parents and grandparents etc.

Phyllis
aka QuiltingGrannie

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-21-2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: remove business name from post
Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Hi! And thanks for the encouragement! :)
Old 10-19-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
opening overflowing stockings was allowed as soon as everyone woke up. they were filled with mostly trinkets, but so much fun. and there was always an orange or tangerine in the toe... a throwback to the depression era when fruit was not readily available. then there was a special family breakfast. everyone then retired to the living room for the opening of presents handed out one-by-one by santa's helper. everyone always watched each gift be opened and made nice comments about it. then it was time to dress in our matching outfits, lovingly created by mom and we piled in the car to the short ride to grandma's. she only had a tiny tree, but the dinner was always remarkable.

the tradition is somewhat the same now, except that i have to go to the DGKs house predawn to watch them open their stockings and gifts. there is always such a delight on their faces. they come to my house for dinner in the afternoon.
We must have grown up in the same house!!!!! :)

Patti
Old 10-19-2011, 04:45 PM

I have read each of your stories and loved them. The bring back good memories and now I am ALMOST ready for Christmas.