Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year >

Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year

Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year

Old 10-11-2011, 08:35 AM

[quote=LenaBeena]We had our church children's program on Christmas Eve. We were allways so scared because the minister told us if we didn't know our speech or song or even worse cried, he would not let Santa come to our house.

:thumbdown: That's mean. It's about as bad as parents telling their kids if they don't behave that they will call the police on them.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:31 AM

A tradition I have with my family and extended families as one soninlaw has an "x", I have stockings that I have made for each of us. They hang from the mantle each year, and are refilled year after year, by Mr. and Mrs. Santa, (DH and Me). the stockings are personal to each one, some are the fabrics that that one chose or are about their hobbies or their favorite christmas theme. But the stockings belong to me. They can have all the goodies out of it, but they must give it back if they expect it to be refilled next year.
when it cam time to replace my own kids's stockings as they were about to fall apart, "NO No NO! That's MY stocking. I like it!" So I cut off the front, and put it on another fabric for a front, added a backing and made a new stocking out of the old. They had had their stockings since birth and didn't want to give them up.
So it looks like a house full of kids on my mantle, but i wouldn't have it any other way. :)
Old 10-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Our one and only Christmas Tradition is to get new funny pajamas for Christmas eve, that no one else got to see until we woke up in the morning. We enjoyed those almost more than the stockings.
The best year was when my dad wore a pair of 'footsie' pajamas. (Imagine Archie Bunker in them) Mwahahahahaha!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:50 AM

As I got older, I envied all those who got a gift for Christmas. Days before, my mother would hand me socks to wrap, also underwear to wrap...(you get the idea) and then hand me little gift tags, on which I was to write my name (to...) and then from Mother..(she didn't want to be called Mommy, or anything like that..) and when Christmas came, I would open my 'presents' of socks, underwear,etc.. and would make believe I didn't know, and liked them.... I never did that to MY children... I was an only child, my father couldn't take it anymore, so left when I was 14... I had 6 children... some memories still hurt.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Not everyone has fond memories of christmas and some of us have relegated that holiday to the back of the cupboard with other useless days such as mother's day and father's day. The old boy in red acknowledged a long time ago that my house is a no-fly zone. Life is good!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Diana79
As I got older, I envied all those who got a gift for Christmas. Days before, my mother would hand me socks to wrap, also underwear to wrap...(you get the idea) and then hand me little gift tags, on which I was to write my name (to...) and then from Mother..(she didn't want to be called Mommy, or anything like that..) and when Christmas came, I would open my 'presents' of socks, underwear,etc.. and would make believe I didn't know, and liked them.... I never did that to MY children... I was an only child, my father couldn't take it anymore, so left when I was 14... I had 6 children... some memories still hurt.
I'm so sorry. That can only be described as cruel.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:30 PM

I hate the Halloween holiday-not the pumpkins or the bats or the fall as I love all of those but the actual day. My x was a "trick or drink" kinda guy. Can't seem to shake the bad feelings. The day before is ok-the day after is fine-I always just hide on the 31st.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:30 PM

I feel so bad for all of you that have bad memories of Christmas. I am so lucky to have such good memories. I don't mean to make any of you with bad memories to feel worse or for you to think I'm making light of you... I don't mean it that way. I do feel so sad for you that you had to go through it all.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:16 PM

We seldom if ever have our grown children with us on Christmas, they are with their grown children and grandchildren, but wherever we are, we insist on following one tradition that we have continued since our first child was born. At the dinner table someone will read the 2nd chapter of Luke, the story of Christmas. Sometimes we read it before the Christmas dinner, sometimes it is read afterwards. Some years now it is just my husband and myself. The other Christmas tradition is the football game on the TV. My husband is a BIG football fan. When we can, we go to the candle light service on Christmas Eve night.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:22 PM

when my kids were growing up I started not wrapping anything that santa sent. Now I don't wrap anything but what's in the stocking. and we open right after santa leaves so I can sleep in, and the kids play 'til 6am and fall a sleep on the floor with their favorite thing.