Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year >

Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year

Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year

Old 10-10-2011, 11:48 AM

We always opened stockings first then presents. We have stockings for the fur babies and they go crazy! They know that they get stockings!! Then they take a nap while DH and I open presents! Then breakfast and then a drive in the snow and run the dogs.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:33 PM

my daughter and I used to turn off all the lights in the apartment, leaving only the lit tree. Then, we'd talk about what we had, our blessings. She used to ask to do this if I should happen to forget.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Oh how i've enjoyed reading all these memories and traditions, Thank you everyone for participating,
I've spent the evening living your lives and picturing and enjoying every post,
Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by betlinsmom
raedar63 I love your avatar puppy!!! Is he real??
Yes he is my bulldog turbo, he is a clown lol.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:47 PM

In the small town where I grew up, the movie theatre had free movies and cartoons. Every year they showed Robin Hood. In color. Errol Flynn as Robin Hood. This was in the early '50's. Santa would make his appearance and there would be a drawing for a new bicycle. Upon leaving the theatre each child would get a christmas net stocking filled with candy and some trinkets. The most precious would be Christmases with my own children. One tradition I established since I had so many nephews and neices, I baked them a cake decorated with either Santa and the elves or snowman skiing. Family dinners were always at the inlaws, Christmas eve with my family. The dads took turns dressing as Santa. Magical moments.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:56 PM

I remember those Life Saver Books I loved those they had one Rum and Butter I think it was they were the best.

Now we have some wine, cheese and assorted meats. We also prepare a platter of munchies to snack on. We talk about those we lost and just reflect on the year. We all have a role in setting up the tree with lights, ornaments and the youngest gets to put the star on top. Then around midnight we open up one gift. DH also plays Santa on Christmas morning and he hands out the gifts.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:21 PM

For years, my dad got me a Lifesaver book. The year he died, my son began to get me the book. He hides it every year. those lifesavers are only for me - no one else is allowed to have any. And I've saved all the "books" - they are lined up on a special shelf over my washer.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 PM

We never had Christmas stockings!! I really don't have good memories of Christmases till I was out of High School and on my own. My DH and I did things differently for our children.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM

For years we and the children spent christmas eve with my in-laws after the Christmas eve service at our church. now that they are gone and we are the old grandparents and great grandparents , everyone of our kids and grandkids and great grandkids spend Christmas eve at our house. The grandkids sing Rudolph every year and write a christmas poem or song about what they did that year. I always make something for each one of the grandkids along with their regular present. The day of christmas morning we all have a potluck breakfast at my granddaughters house. We love christmas.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM

What a treat it has been to read about all your family traditions. My kids are grown and gone now but there were so many things we did year after year. Last year, they all came home, with kids and spouses, to celebrate Christmas and my Mom's 88th birthday. We took a picture. Wish I could make this a family tradition.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-269206.jpe