Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thinking “new math” doesn’t get it... >

Thinking “new math” doesn’t get it...

Thinking “new math” doesn’t get it...

Old 04-21-2021, 06:28 PM

Default Thinking “new math” doesn’t get it...

It happened again tonight. DH bought an item $5.31. He gave the cashier $10.00 who punched it into the cash register. DH says “Here’s 31 cents, handed it over and watched cashier fiddle around with coins in the cash drawer, deciding what to do.
DH says “give me a 5 dollar bill & we’re good. Cashier looked very bewildered and reluctantly handed a 5 dollar bill to him.

I took a summer job at the greenhouse a couple of years ago & part of my application was a full page of simple questions about making change. I think anyone can catch on with a little practice & management should give the poor souls the training they obviously need.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

Most modern cash register has them put in the amount you give them and the machine calculates the change. No math needed and that’s a good thing. Most children don’t do math in their heads but with a calculator nowadays.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

My friend has been a cashier forever and she still can't count change to you if not at a cash register. She tries to subtract the amt. of the item from the amt. you gave her in her head. She just doesn't understand how to count change.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:47 PM

I learned to count change at my first job. I worked a lot where I had to count change and can still do it. It's so easy. You don't have to do any math. I had the same experience as Tranum's and gave this kid a lesson in counting change. I think he thought I was ripping him off *smh*
Old 04-21-2021, 07:59 PM

Yeah...the challenge is that if you give the cashier money after they've punched in the amount they get flustered. I agree...making change should be a skill one should be able to do without a cash register. When I was young I helped my mother at lots of craft shows. That's how I learned to make change!

I was in the library once with my son (a homeschool kid) and he was working on copy work for cursive writing. One of the other patrons actually came up to me and thanked me for teaching him how to read cursive. She evidently had given someone a letter written (or note) written in cursive and that person couldn't read it.

Even though we have a 'technical' age, I still think some basic skills are important.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:56 AM

Most people don't know how to count back change any more. It's a fact of life. Why make it hard for them, just take your change and you can roll the coins when you get home. If I were a store owner with a modern cash register, I would not want young clerks trying to do math in their head.

Probably 100 years ago the old people were complaining, "these young kids, they don't even know how to drive a team of oxen."
Old 04-22-2021, 04:55 AM

Now days the store owners probably don't know how to make change. Their is a store here in town that they won't hire you if you can't count the change back to the customer. I had an exp. the other day at a store, gave the clerk $22.00 and the bill was $11.75. He gave me a 5, 3 ones, and a quarter. The young girl behind me laughed and commented clerks can't even make change when the reg. tells them how much to give back.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

In my opinion - it is annoying to have someone dig for change after the amount tendered has been entered into the cash register.

If one wants to add coins to the bills tendered - have the cashier wait until the coins have been handed over before entering the amount tendered.

I can understand why it would confuse/befuddle someone when people do that.

DH does it all the often. I cringe often.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:11 AM

Oh yes, at a fast food drive in i gave some change to the attendant and he or she had to call the Boss in to help. The Boss couldn't even get it right! sigh.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:42 AM

It frequently bothers me that cashiers today can't make change and now with the "rounding up" that some stores are doing because of the coin shortages it makes it even more difficult for them if you have the exact change. I don't have a clue what this world is coming to.