Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 97

Thread: Thinning hair

  1. #1
    Junior Member LittleMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sunny Queensland
    Posts
    232
    I used to have these great thick locks, but my hair has become awfully thin of late. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you overcome it? I am almost certain it is hormone related. I am interested if there is a vitamin or other supplement I can take to make it better, or at least stop the hair loss.

    Thanks for any response.

  2. #2
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    A friend of mine said it was thyroid related. And another friend who has a history of thyroid issues also has thin hair, so I'd say have your thyroid checked.

  3. #3
    Super Member DA Mayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stacyville Iowa
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    A friend of mine said it was thyroid related. And another friend who has a history of thyroid issues also has thin hair, so I'd say have your thyroid checked.
    Definately have the thyroid tested especially if it just started and maybe you can slow the thinning. Do you smoke? This can cause thinning of the hair also. I have inherited thinning plus thyroid issues, my hair dresser gave me shampoo to use, and it has helped some, sometimes taking calcium supplement helps but only if you need the calcium. I am using Bosley hair treatment right now, wish I could afford implants or transplants for the top front of my head. Oh well I have other issues to work on first. LOL

  4. #4
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    Mine is a Thyroid problem discovered 10 yrs. ago by no gnyo doc - not my gp. There is a hair vitamin supplement that I take which seems to help. I'm almost 67 & have very little gray hair.

  5. #5
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    I lost a lot of hair for awhile after my surgery. Now it is pertty much back to normal.

  6. #6
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,937
    Blog Entries
    2
    I am in the beginning stages of menopause and have discovered that my hair is starting to thin a little. My hair is everywhere, when I cook I pull it back and shake my shirt so it does not wind up in the food. :). I don't have a thyroid problem so I know that's not it. Also stress can cause hair loss.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Sewze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    666
    Blog Entries
    7
    I have had thin, fine hair all my life. Everyone else in my family has a thick head of hair. Mine started coming out in 1994 when my Father was very ill and I was flying (I hate to fly) East to West, back & forth for 6 wks before he passed and my Mother had passed away in '93. My thyroid is checked every year and is fine. Thyroid controls your hormones...I went thru Menopause long before my parents passing. It is still continuing to thin....I just try to fix it so it doesn't show. I do have a lot of stress in my life and that is probably the cause at the present.

  8. #8
    Senior Member mawmawbeve_60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    691
    Yes, Stress, thyroid, Hormones and all this goes with Ageing...

  9. #9
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    Yip - menopause caused me to lose my thick hair!!!! I don't know how to handle it now!!!

  10. #10
    Super Member lawsonmugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    7,888
    hair loss is a side effect of menopause. also thyroid and stress. try to avoid all those especially these days. I loose a handful everytime I brush my hair. I'm 61 yr old I take thyroid med. and a side affect from the med is "hair loss" can't win at all. Like they say you don't have to shave your legs as often so you will have time to work on your new "mustache". good luck girls. Mary

  11. #11
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    Everyone have a great day!

  12. #12
    Super Member lawsonmugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    7,888
    Sorry for your illness Sadiemae. I didn't mean to make light of the problem. It is not funny. Just wanted to try and give these people a smile during a bad time.I appologize for hurting anyones feelings. Mary

  13. #13
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    Just ignore me, sometimes I am just overly sensitive and I need to get over it. Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel bad.

  14. #14
    Super Member Melinda in Tulsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,493
    Blog Entries
    62
    I'm long past menepause, have hypothyroidism and LOTS of stress in my life. Needless to say, my hair has gotten alot thinner too, especially in the front. :( I've given up worrying about it.

  15. #15
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    First I would go to the doctor to rule out any health concerns.
    My hair loss is due to stress, taking vitamin B supplements seems to help, as stress depletes the body of these vitamins. My doctor prescribed this for me :D:D:D

  16. #16
    Jerrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florence, Alabama
    Posts
    746
    My hair is so thin at the top i am almost bald i have eto wear weave or wigs i read about using Monastat vaginal yeast cream and it really works just google it and read on it type in "hair growth using monastat vaginal yeast cream"

  17. #17
    Super Member Gramof6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,357
    All good advice here. See your Dr. & have test to make sure it is not a health issue. I lost a lot of hair at 55 yrs old for no apparent reason. Test all came back fine. My Dr told me to use Nioxin Shampoo & Cond. I bought it at the Salon inside of WalMart. I also started taking Biotin 5000 mg a day. Buy it over the counter @ WalMart in the Vitamin section. I take 2 day. I also started taking a Vit. bought from WalMart & on the label it just says Skin, Hair & Nails. I think the Biotin worked the best. My hair all came back in as thick as usual. Came in curly though. It is so thick & healthy for once in my life. After a yr of using Nioxin Shampoo, I stopped using it & notice no diff. My hair is suddenly growing very fast. Might try the Biotin if you know you are healthy.

  18. #18
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    lots of good tips everyone, thanks for sharing with us

  19. #19
    Super Member dotcomdtcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City UWS
    Posts
    4,420
    Guess what girls? Not only does your hair get thin on top of your head but it may grow aggressively in other places!!
    Not fun but aging gracefully is hard! A good haircut & cosmetics help. I'd talk to a doctor or dermatologist before
    following all the many, many ads! Yes, younger sisters, it's all ahead of you!

  20. #20
    Super Member LindaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,943
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMo
    I used to have these great thick locks, but my hair has become awfully thin of late. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you overcome it? I am almost certain it is hormone related. I am interested if there is a vitamin or other supplement I can take to make it better, or at least stop the hair loss.

    Thanks for any response.
    mine never came back after radiation...I use "folicure shampoo" which has really helped alot. I have to order it from ebay

  21. #21
    pookie ookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Trifid Nebula
    Posts
    1,305
    There is a Rogaine for women. I think you have to use it twice a day so that might be a drag. Heard it works on the thinning on top that's so common for women. Good luck.

  22. #22
    Super Member Ditter43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crystal River Florida
    Posts
    9,771
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Guess what girls? Not only does your hair get thin on top of your head but it may grow aggressively in other places!!
    Not fun but aging gracefully is hard! A good haircut & cosmetics help. I'd talk to a doctor or dermatologist before
    following all the many, many ads! Yes, younger sisters, it's all ahead of you!
    You are so right!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

  23. #23
    Super Member Janetlmt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,059
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMo
    I used to have these great thick locks, but my hair has become awfully thin of late. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you overcome it? I am almost certain it is hormone related. I am interested if there is a vitamin or other supplement I can take to make it better, or at least stop the hair loss.

    Thanks for any response.
    mine never came back after radiation...I use "folicure shampoo" which has really helped alot. I have to order it from ebay
    I just finished with radiation and my hair if shedding all over the place. I hope it comes back. I am taking notes on this topic. I will try the Folicure shampoo.
    Thank you everyone for you imput..this has really helped!
    Peace and Blessings

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Prosper, Texas
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramof6
    All good advice here. See your Dr. & have test to make sure it is not a health issue. I lost a lot of hair at 55 yrs old for no apparent reason. Test all came back fine. My Dr told me to use Nioxin Shampoo & Cond. I bought it at the Salon inside of WalMart. I also started taking Biotin 5000 mg a day. Buy it over the counter @ WalMart in the Vitamin section. I take 2 day. I also started taking a Vit. bought from WalMart & on the label it just says Skin, Hair & Nails. I think the Biotin worked the best. My hair all came back in as thick as usual. Came in curly though. It is so thick & healthy for once in my life. After a yr of using Nioxin Shampoo, I stopped using it & notice no diff. My hair is suddenly growing very fast. Might try the Biotin if you know you are healthy.
    I've had fine thin hair all my life and recently started taking biotin. Not sure I see a difference but I'm hoping. I do the best I can to get a good hair cut & staying healthy. I also have thyroid meds so found it interesting that it is a side effect of the meds?

  25. #25
    Super Member plainjane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,811
    Blog Entries
    62
    gramof6-I'm on it!-Buying the Nioxin-Did a google sesarch and found it at Walgreen's online. I've had radio active iodine and must take synthroid now. Menopause didn't help matters, but as mentioned earlier, you don't have to shave the legs very often :) BUT the Mustache!! If I could only have that hair on top of my head! I've been taking Biotin and I will try anything that works for someone else. Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.