Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
?? for those who write tutorials... >

?? for those who write tutorials...

?? for those who write tutorials...

Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 AM

I have been taking pictures of every step of the wall hanging I am doing, with intentions of doing a tutorial on my blog. It am using a kit, so I the directions are already written, but I will be writing the blog post so people can use their own fabrics and such. What I am wondering about is how you keep the thoughts organized and if you have any tips for creating a successful tutorial.

Thank you in advance
Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 AM

I find a lot of pictures helps me and the readers. Making sure you write things down as you go can be helpful. I have also written things down and take a picture of that as I go :) I think the more you make it easy to understand the better. Good luck. Did you get it up yet ? Love to see it.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by janice4
I find a lot of pictures helps me and the readers. Making sure you write things down as you go can be helpful. I have also written things down and take a picture of that as I go :) I think the more you make it easy to understand the better. Good luck. Did you get it up yet ? Love to see it.
Not yet, but I will post when I do...it'll be in parts I think...I haven't decided yet.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
Originally Posted by janice4
Not yet, but I will post when I do...it'll be in parts I think...I haven't decided yet.
Why in parts for those of us who like to finish things.. in one go.. :(
Old 03-22-2011, 03:24 PM

Make it PDF and we can just download it.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 PM

I have done a coupla tutes. Also was a technical writer in my other life.

#1) Post a picture of the finished product as the first pic. I hate having to scroll thru numerous pages (sometimes) to see what the heck the person is showing.

#2) Put the name of the product in the subject/title line. Look at the tutes....the ones that say "here's one for Jane Doe"....doesn't help anyone!!! Is it a purse, a wallet, a block???

#3) Write/type out your tute on a separate sheet of paper - in steps. When you're done, make another of the product and FOLLOW the tute EXACTLY. If it doesn't work, you know your tute is wrong!!!!

good luck!