Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS: >

THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS:

THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS:

Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 AM

oh my goodness - i remember them all!!!!! in fact my mother sold milk from our own cow and used the card board stoppers. we delivered it for 10 cents a quart.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Another old dirt bomb here. I've been seeing my mother's face in the mirror for so long that I've begun addressing that image as Mom, LOL!

Seriously thanks for getting us to remember the Good Times because we all had some really bad times growing up but have managed to survive and not wallow in misery. I think quilting helps us to keep our sense of perspective, we're always thinking of others instead of ourselves. May in Jersey
!
Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 PM

How about pea coats? Dog collars? B-1 Bomber bras? Girdles?
Tight skirts and even tighter sweaters? Wearing someones letter sweater? getting pinned? Penny loafers? White buck shoes? black & white saddle shoes? Kukla, Fran & Ollie? Oh dear, now I am getting teary....
Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
When was it that when I looked in the mirror and saw my mother? Exactly when was it that I grew old?? I must have missed something along the way - I just don't remember getting here.
I know what you mean. I posted a pix on here that had me in it and when I looked at it Momma was looking back at me.[/quote]

I think we must all have the same make mirror!!! The one that makes you look just like your Mum!! Mine does too :D :D
Old 09-20-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
Guess I'm older than dirt too, although I don't feel like it (most days, haha). I remembered most all of them. Things sure have changed. I like the improvements in the "things" we use, but sure lament the changes in values and integrity and parenting, none of which are for the better. I'm tired of seeing everyone's underwear!
I am also seeing my mother's face in the mirror. But I also got to agree. Seeing guys underwear with their pants down around there knees, thant just makes me want to puke!! That is not sexy at all I don't care how old they are ot young!! Iiiiiiick!!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:14 PM

I am also older than dirt. I remember all but the milk bottles. We never could afford milk delivered. We got commodities with the powder milk and eggs and canned peanut butter. I remember my mother breaking her arm with the wringer of the the washer it just grabbed her and boy did she cuss a blue streak. I remember we were taught to repect all elders and knew better than to tell them our opinion when they were 'discussing" politics or what ever. We had an outside toilet until I was 7 and I felt rich when me moved to a house with gas heat not a coal stove and a water heater and public water. We appreiciate all our conveiniences when we reminisce of the olden times.
Thanks for the trip back in time.
Karen
Old 09-20-2010, 02:21 PM

another older than dirt......but some good memories!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:22 PM

I was going to mention the outhouse too, and my grandpa had a crank tractor. I have the milk box on my porch that we used when I was young, funny I don't remember the bottles. I did receive 2 of the cardboard capped bottles from my brother. One of the caps says Keep our forest green, use your ashtray.
Hand me down clothes. Wood stove and kerosene heater. Or riding in the backseat of the car and freezing your feet because the heat wouldn't quite make it there. Having to wear layers of clothes to play out in the snow because we didn't have snow suits, the smell of gloves drying on the radiator.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I guess I must have stood on the deck and watched the mud dry because I remember every one of them. When I read "mimeograph paper" I could actually smell that toxic fluid. Loved the smell of that stuff. Anyone else able to "smell" it just now? I remember the very first McDonalds in our area. It was the only place you could get fast food and there was no seating. You went in, got your order, and ate in your car. Every few month dad would sell a hog or a cow, have a little money left over and take us to McDonalds where the only things on the menu were hamburgers (the kind that come in the Happy Meals now), fries, coke, orange drink, and coffee. All 8 of us had room to eat in the car without making a mess. It was such a treat!
You forgot the rootbeer! We used to go the the first McD's in Chicago when I was a kid. M & D only took us there about 4 times a year, so it was really a treat.
;-)
Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM

When I was getting married, I received from one of my Nana's best friends a box full of books of S&H greenstamps...I remember going thru the catalog to see what I had enough stamps to get. I was about 1 1/2 books short to get a folding card table and 4 chairs, so Nana got on the phone and called a couple of other friends and by the next week I had enough stamps to redeem...Still have the table and chairs, nearly 35 years later.
BTW...I'm older than dirt, too.