Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS: >

THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS:

THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS:

Old 09-20-2010, 03:13 PM

My brother and his wife had a party line only a few years ago...of course they were living out in the country. Now with cell phones, that doesn't matter.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:31 PM

For now I can remember all of them. I am one step from not being able to remember anything. So what does that make me!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:49 PM

Yes I remember almost things on your list. Our first TV came from Sears, and it was encased in metal. If our parents came home, felt the top of the TV and it was warm, well we were in trouble cause the darn thing would of course get hot and we were'nt supposed to be watching TV during the day. My first date with my husband was in a Studebaker. Thanks for the memories.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

[quote=twistedsheets]
Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
Seeing guys underwear with their pants down around there knees, thant just makes me want to puke!! That is not sexy at all I don't care how old they are ot young!! Iiiiiiick!!
LOL! In my day I remember the boys pulling up the younger guys pants til they were tight in their cracks as a joke.
Nowadays the kids make me want to pull their pants down to their ankles!

Jan in VA
Old 09-20-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by sistahdebbra
I am lol at all these memories I forgot about. Man, the winger washer and then we had to hang them on the clothes line outside. In school, the girls could only wear skirts or a dress, pants were not allowed, only blue jeans during physical ed and the boys HAD to wear some form of tie, bow-tie, string-tie etc. We had a man selling fish from a open truck filled with chipped ice blocks. Oh yeah, there was the watermelon man, we had allies in the back of our houses and he'll drive though the ally "singing" Come get your cold watermelon, I got ice cold watermelon. He would also cut a triangle and let you taste it.
You were lucky to get to wear jeans for PE. We had these "gym suits". They were a one-piece blue thing with elastic in the short legs and waist so that they puffed out around your hips, sleeveless but had a collar on them. They were HORRID!!! We had to purchase one starting in the 7th grade. Some of the girls bought a new one each year so that they'd look new. Not me. I wore the same one for the next 6 years. By my senior year it was such a rag! I'd had to cut open the crotch and add some fabric because I'd grown about 4 inches and a strip down each side to accomodate the chest growth. That poor thing was patched and mended all over.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:49 PM

I remember all of them. I especially loved the glass soda pop from the machine!!!!! Older than dirt is great for me, I will be this age forever.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:49 PM

I'm 53 and I remembered 20 of them. My Aunt had milk delivered in glass bottles. My first car was a 1963 Chevy Impala, it had the ignition on the dash board and the dimmer switch on the floor and NO a/c. I had 4/40 a/c all 4 windows down @ 40mph. lol
Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 PM

Older than dirt, I really remember the ringer washers . got my right arm caught in the ringer. I remember bread being 6 loaves for a $1 and hamburger was .23 per pound and the gas was .15 per gallon unless there was a gas war then it was.09-.12 per gallon. When my Mom retired (after working 17 yrs. for the same co) she was making $1.60 per hr. My grandmother got the first tv in the family and it had a 12'' screen. We watched Boston Blackie,all the old cowboy showes. Mom would roll my hair on Sat.morning and she used bobbie pins, no curlers. Ahhhh the good old days. Thanks for the memories.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:09 AM

Does anyone else remember the Spoolies? Little rubber things that looked like martini glasses. You curled your hair around them and then flipped the cone shaped part down to hold them in place. My sisters used to use them.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by sistahdebbra
I am lol at all these memories I forgot about. Man, the winger washer and then we had to hang them on the clothes line outside. In school, the girls could only wear skirts or a dress, pants were not allowed, only blue jeans during physical ed and the boys HAD to wear some form of tie, bow-tie, string-tie etc. We had a man selling fish from a open truck filled with chipped ice blocks. Oh yeah, there was the watermelon man, we had allies in the back of our houses and he'll drive though the ally "singing" Come get your cold watermelon, I got ice cold watermelon. He would also cut a triangle and let you taste it.
You were lucky to get to wear jeans for PE. We had these "gym suits". They were a one-piece blue thing with elastic in the short legs and waist so that they puffed out around your hips, sleeveless but had a collar on them. They were HORRID!!! We had to purchase one starting in the 7th grade. Some of the girls bought a new one each year so that they'd look new. Not me. I wore the same one for the next 6 years. By my senior year it was such a rag! I'd had to cut open the crotch and add some fabric because I'd grown about 4 inches and a strip down each side to accomodate the chest growth. That poor thing was patched and mended all over.
We had a fruit and veggie peddler come to our city block daily during the summer with the produce in their horse drawn wagons. When he came to our block he would call out what the 'special' of the day was. Some of our neighbors had back yard gardens and asked the peddler to stop in front of their houses so the could scoop up any droppings the horse left for their gardens.

Oh, those ugly pea green gym suits. I thought I would outsmart the school's rules and look good in my gym suit because I found a dark blue one. It fit me like a glove, hey when I had it I flaunted it. I also embroidered my name and flowers on the pocket and always turned my collar up. Imagine how disappointed I was when I found someone had broken into my gym locker and stole my beautiful gym suit. Only gym suit in Lost and Found was a big ugly green one, but since I was a senior and it was only a few months until graduation I washed it and wore it for those few months. May in Jersey