Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thoughts on the prce of food.......lead to a game! >

Thoughts on the prce of food.......lead to a game!

Thoughts on the prce of food.......lead to a game!

Old 09-19-2011, 05:28 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I was at a Walmart and the produce guy was picking out tomatoes with blems, I said are you going to mark those down, I can use them for cooking. He said, no, we have to throw them out. grrrrrrr.....
not nutritonal- but along the line of your grrr; my dd used to work at a coffee shop- high end- and at the end of the week any coffee, no matter the type, had to be thrown out when the bins were emptied, cleaned and refilled. some of that coffee was $50.00 a lb; others @ maybe 7-10 a lb. my point is all that, and produce from stores across our nation could be helping folks in need. and we realize there are a lot of folks in need nowadays.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

The biggest cheapest bag of beans, protein and carbs. I would also try and glean if I was that person.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 AM

You are so right!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
Our kids gave us a Food Saver sealer thingamajig for Christmas. When I see sugar, flour, beans, noodles of any kind, gravy & sauce packets, rice, powdered milk, Oatmeal, tea bags, coffee, dried fruits,I stock up and come home and seal them in sm portions. Anytime I find canned goods on sale, & they have a long exp. date, I buy as many as I can. I am thinking of trying to dehydrate some frozen veggies & see how those work. I also think some very lean times may be ahead. We will not be eating gourmet, but we will eat.
how does that food saver work out for you? I've been thinking of getting one as a "Christmas present from santa to the family". are the sealing bags expensive when you run out? are they the kind you can put in boiling water to heat stuff up? I think my mom had one, but I was alrady living out of state and never asked her about it - didnt even really know it until after she and dad died and it went away by people cleaning out the house. sharet
Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 AM

Veggies for soup, corn bread mix and pinto beans.
Originally Posted by nycbgirl
I was with 3 of my long time friends yesterday and one of them told me that a friend of hers lost her job and gets unemployment and food stamps $17 of food stamps to be exact. My first thought was what can you buy with $17 ??? So we made a game out of it and came up with some very good ideas. Of course $17 will not feed a person for 30 days but if it's used wisely it sure can help. Each of us pretended that we had only $20 to spend for a week we had to have 3 meals a day. some of the things we came up with were: rice, beans, peanut butter, jelly, bread, oatmeal,eggs, a whole chicken to bake then make soup out of the bones. a bag of apples, various vegetables, potatos. These are a few things that we had on our lists of course this cost more than $20 but it was a very interesting conversation. As a side note I asked two men the same question and their first item was meat all the women said a carb for the first item. So what would you buy for $20???
Old 09-19-2011, 06:34 AM

she gets a dollor more in food stamps than I do. It is hard but can be done.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:55 AM

Box of shotgun shells, box of 30-30s.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 AM

I have been spoiled the last few years...

But there were years that were slim. We got by with small amounts of cash to buy things like flour and sugar because we raised a garden and my husband likes to fish. Wrong time of year to raise the food, I know...
Old 09-19-2011, 08:10 AM

Are you all aware that the amount of Food Stamps you get is based on your income?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 AM

My mother always had a tupperware type container in the freezer, and always tossed in that "last" tablespoon of corn, peas, potatoes, meats....,.just about everything...then when it was full we always had the most delicious stew...never knew what was going to be in there, but it was something about all of those flavors..it was always good, and just about free!