Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thoughts on the prce of food.......lead to a game! >

Thoughts on the prce of food.......lead to a game!

Thoughts on the prce of food.......lead to a game!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rann
Are you all aware that the amount of Food Stamps you get is based on your income?
Exactly. They aren't expecting her to make $17 last a month, they are saying that based on her income, this is all she qualifies for.

To play your game, if I had to operate on a food budget of $20/week, I'd probably get eggs, lentils, cheese, potatoes, onions, apples, oranges, bread, broccoli, tomatoes. And my bottled distilled water. I'd vary it up a bit. I wouldn't finish a bag of potatoes in a week, for example, so the next week I might get peanut butter or rice, spinach, etc.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350
My mother always had a tupperware type container in the freezer, and always tossed in that "last" tablespoon of corn, peas, potatoes, meats....,.just about everything...then when it was full we always had the most delicious stew...never knew what was going to be in there, but it was something about all of those flavors..it was always good, and just about free!
I have something like that, it's called DH's mouth!! it always gets the last spoonful of anything!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM

If you use coupons you can make your food stamps streach, but even with that, $17 does not buy for many groceries. There should be a food pantry or food bank in the area that she can go to. Your church should know where the food pantires are (if they don't have one)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio
Originally Posted by ptquilts
I was at a Walmart and the produce guy was picking out tomatoes with blems, I said are you going to mark those down, I can use them for cooking. He said, no, we have to throw them out. grrrrrrr.....
not nutritonal- but along the line of your grrr; my dd used to work at a coffee shop- high end- and at the end of the week any coffee, no matter the type, had to be thrown out when the bins were emptied, cleaned and refilled. some of that coffee was $50.00 a lb; others @ maybe 7-10 a lb. my point is all that, and produce from stores across our nation could be helping folks in need. and we realize there are a lot of folks in need nowadays.
Some of that food is being donated to local food pantries. I know that Jewel, Target and other grocery stores near me donate to the food bank whic in turn donates it to churches, schools and other organizations that have food pantries. My local area has a mobile food truck that does around to churches and schools and gives the food away.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:05 AM

dried pinto beans, potatoes, cornmeal, flour, eggs, oatmeal, and I agree with the whole chicken too.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM

We've played that game for real. Both my husband and I are very frugal shoppers- Ican turn a double pack of chicken from Sam's club into 4- 6 meals for a family of 5. In the cooler months I make our own bread- A 25 pound bag of flour is around 8.00. Yeast in a bag not by packs is around 3.00.
Frozen or large cans of veg are less then little ones. Raman nooldes are under 2.00 for a 12 pack. Milk and juice are cheaper at Kwick trip by the 1/2 gallon bag. Buy a 50 lb bag of potatoes from a farmer for under 12.00. Rice large bag around 10.00. We have to watch the prices ad make ends meet. It's not a new stroy but one many have not heard or have no idea how to play the game because they didn't grow up with it. Many food pantries only want prepreped items because according to them people don't know what to do with raw ingrediants. I grew up the daughter of a pastor to a small church. His pay was partly what the farmers could not sell because of blemishes but still was good. We learned to eat everything even though we did not appreciate how hard my mother worked to turn squash into a meriod of dishes etc.
I don't buy for food pantries anything we can't afford for ourselves
Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Can't go dumpster diving around here. They ruin the food before they put it in the dumpster so that it is not usable for anybody. I think that is sinful!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:14 PM

donna1350, etc.,

At our house that was cowboy stew!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
what you get in food stamps is to "help" you buy food, not to be a complete subsidy for everything you need.
Yes it is to 'help', but when you are paying all utilities (water, sewer, garbage, electric,) plus homeowners insurance and the homeowners warranty, and the only thing they deduct from your income is the electric bill, it looks like you have plenty of money. After I pay my bills, I have $52 and my food stamps ($87) to buy groceries for the month. Thank God there is a soup kitchen here in town, or we would live on top ramen all the time.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
The biggest cheapest bag of beans, protein and carbs. I would also try and glean if I was that person.
Our local gleaners charge a fee to belong, and if you are disabled you can't belong because you can't pick produce yourself. :roll: