Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thoughts on sending fruit for a funeral rather than flowers >

Thoughts on sending fruit for a funeral rather than flowers

Thoughts on sending fruit for a funeral rather than flowers

Old 08-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Banned

I think a fruit basket, or food basket is a wonderful idea at times like this.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 PM

I have quit sending flowers. I found any type of food is such a help to families and fruit sounds like a wonderful thought.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 PM

My friend, whose brother was a suicide, received a basket from another friend that had tea bags, Tums, packages of plain cookies. fresh fruit and other various items like eye drops etc. It was so appreciated.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Very good idea and so thoughtful. Much better than flowers.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by sall View Post
A friend brought me some tea bags when she came to see me after my husband had passed away, as she knew that there would be lots of cups of tea being made with all the visitors. She thought that would be more useful than flowers. Very gratefully received.
I don't know about fruit, as they can so stale so quickly and would someone really like to get them when they are so sad. When a very beloved customer of my hotel died the customers said they would do a whip round and send a wreath, and I said please don't. The widow was distraught has her husband was so loved by all and there was a huge funeral and of course everyone visited her to give her tea and sympathy. So I asked the customers to put in however little or much in little envelopes that I had and when I visited her I said when she found things a bit tough to look in the kitchen drawer I had put the envelopes in. Months later when she felt up to visiting us she said she could not believe how valuable those envelopes where as her Milk/Tea/Biscuits water and electricity consumption had soured and they paid the milkman and helped towards the other costs as well, she was so grateful. Yes the funerals was lovely with heaps n heaps of flowers so our little wreath wasn't missed.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:40 AM

I really love all these wonderful ideas, most of which I never thought of. You ladies are amazing and I really appreciate the time you all took to respond to my question. I now have LOTS of ideas which I am sure I can use in the future.

I probably should have said what prompted the question in the first place. When my MIL passed, we had lots of flowers and asked if they could be donated to a nursing home or church where others could enjoy them. They said no because they already had too many so they just went to waste really except for those few minutes of the viewing. I found it sad really but I agree with what many have said that you have to follow your heart and do what you feel is right for that situation.

Thanks again for the replies! I think many will benefit from your ideas.