Thrift Store Prices?

Old 07-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Is it my imagination, or are the prices at places like Good Will and other "donated used goods" places also going up quite a bit?
Yep at least the couple I go to on a regular basis. Even commented to the mgr. just yesterday..." are you kidding with the price increases" told him some of this stuff is priced higher then "NEW" I think they figure w/ more people watching thier dollars closer they can jack prices up.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:35 PM

YES!!! Fabric used to be 42 cents a yard and now it's an outrageous 72 cents a yard!!!! LOL

Of course they're raising their prices, the cost of their utilities, wages and everything else is going up so they about have to. It hasn't changed our Goodwill any though, it's still packed all the time. I was a bit shocked the other day when dd wanted the pretty pink purse in the display case. It was new so I knew it would be more than the $3 charged for used ones. I asked a sales clerk to check on the price-----$159.96!!! Granted, it was a Coach but it was also Goodwill. Needless to say, dd and I came home without the purse.

I bought 2 nice pairs of shoes, 5 skirts, 5 blouses, 1 dress, a large wooden tv tray to use for a portable ironing board, and a whole bunch of fabric (my cart was literally overflowing with purchases) and only spent $63 and change.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:18 PM

Our Goodwill store here in Bend Oregon is pretty reasonable. Alot cheaper than on the other side of the Cascades. Some of the other thrift shops, like the Humane society and St Vincent's are a little high.

Now Habitat for Humanity's Restore is way over priced. You can buy retail almost for what they charge for clearly used merchandise. We needed one cabinet for the shop, the only one they has suitable was marked 100.00 dollars. New at Home Depot it was 85.....go figure!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

We have a Goodwill and it does seem their prices are high. We have a local one that was started by a minister here. He was called to help the homeless and near homeless. He does wonderful work. If they feel you can't afford it they give it to the people free. He will help place families and others in apartments and homes and will furnish them for them. I have been lucky to be on the donating side and love to donate to him because people who really need it get the help from him for little or no cost.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:11 PM

I find it true that GW prices are much higher than I want to pay. And, the dollar store isn't just a dollar anymore.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:41 PM

i bought a tomas kincade dinning room table and four chares at a flea makrket for 250 i thought that was a good deal good will had somthing like it for 700 and the chariety store had a antique table and chaires for 1500 i guess i like flea markets they a will to deal if you want somthing and ity sits arround they are willing to haggel
Old 07-04-2010, 04:16 AM

I haven't shopped Goodwill for many years. Saw two soup bowl cups (the ones with the handles) on the shelf, they were identical to four others I got from Dollar General.
They wanted $2 each. I got mine new at DG for 2/$1.00. Left the place and never went back.

I do shop frequently at Salvation Army and some other faith based shops. H for H is HIGH, can buy new building supplies for less in most cases. A couple of the thrift shops have the $5 brown bag clothing sales, weekly.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:07 AM

Yes, they did get higher. I think when the recession hit more people were coming in to get good deals and they raised their prices but most of the stuff is still a bargain.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:16 AM

I have noticed that our thrift shop prices have gone up over the past year. I think that's due to the recession and a lot of people shopping at thrift shops who have never shopped in them before. But, I still find fabulous value in my neighborhood shops. One shop sells fabric for about 50 cents a yard. It doesn't have a huge selection, but the fabric is great for backing. I go there once a week just to look at the fabric.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:20 AM

I dunno....I LOVE my Goodwill. (Goodwill of Central VA) All of them operate on the same 'level'...clean, organized (except for the book section :( ) Clothes are sorted always by color and print/solid, mostly by size. Tags have 5 colors, one color is ALWAYS on sale 50% off...
I rarely look at stuff that doesn't have this week's color tag. Sometimes, if something is stellar, I am willing to pay full price (like yesterday, I bought an incredibly beautiful long wrap skirt of 100% linen by J Jill for $4.99 at full price. The other skirt I bought was 50%)

You really can't go wrong with a pair of broken in jeans for $3.49!!!

However, went to a few Goodwills while traveling, and was disappointed by their lack of organization.