Thrift Store Prices?

Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 PM

you know i was in one the other day , i had not been there for awhile and i was thinking the same thing! i was looking for a little boys necktie for my grandson to wear for one day so i thought i might find one at goodwill , they were 5.oo each !! heck i can go to walmart and buy a clean brand new one for that much
Old 07-05-2010, 02:48 PM

Prices here (upstate NY) are going up. In fact our Good Will prices are almost rediculous. I've mentioned it to the manager, he says---it's brand new, from Target...you expect us to give it away? My answer was, if I had $59.00 for sheeting do you honesstly think I would be shopping in your thrift store?BUT, just can't stay away...gotta check it out each week.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:06 PM

I agree that Goodwill is a bit on the pricey side. But I have to go in once in awhile because sometimes you get a deal. I volunteer at a thrift store with very good prices. Today, someone came in looking for a box spring and mattress that she needed tonite. We didn't have any but we directed her down the street to the Goodwill. She said she had just come from there, and they had one but she could purchase a new one at the price they had. I hear that alot.

Our thrift store only carries items that have been donated. When we get fabric in, it goes quickly. People ask us why we don't carry certain items and we have to remind them our merchandise is only as good as what people give us. We are very lucky in our community as we have generous people donating.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:12 PM

i donate everything to and check out the local St. Vincent De Paul for sewing and quilting related items and their prices have definitely gone up. they use that money to subsidize kids who need school uniforms or adults who need office clothing or families who need temporary help with rent, baby food, etc. all of those costs have gone up so they have to charge more. they work out of a miserable hole in the wall, and only use volunteers, so the money isn't going there. it's just hard times. i can't find the bargain clothing that i used to use for fabric anymore.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Banned

they have gone up so much, that I cant buy from them any more. God bless. Penny
Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 AM

yes they are and I'm mad about it.. I still have 8 of my 11 kids at home... lets just say I'm a regular at a couple of goodwills around here. they need to remember that their stuff is donated and its there to help people that can't afford the high prices in stores
Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Had been seeing all the good bargains everyone was getting at the thrift stores so stopped at good will in my town today. That was a mistake. The place was a wreck. I asked about fabric. The worker pointed to some bins that had everything in the world in them but fabric. Dry run