to throw away or not

Old 08-21-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by doll-lady
i love old cards. i collect them and put them in albums. the older ones are alot cuter than alot of what you get today. i love old valentines too and keep those. i declutter on other things. lol i used to hold onto old magazines but i have let most of them go now.
I'm a reader, so I take the birthday/christmas cards/etc. that aren't "keepers", and cut them into bookmarks. I used to work at an elementary school, and would hand them out to my reading group kids.......they loved the bits and pieces of pictures they got.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
I think we're all like this, just to different degrees. I try to clear out a couple times a year. My rule is if it hasn't been used in the last two years, out it goes. Except for my stash, of course. Some things are just sacred!!
A very good rule and a very good exception! :lol:
Old 08-21-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Margie
It bothers me to hear "throw out". There is always someone who could use those things. DONATE DONATE DONATE. There are so many places...Goodwill, Salvation Army, Disabled Vets, thrift shops...there is also Freecycle. It is a shame to thow away things that could be used or repuposed into land fills. .
As I'm slowing cleaning out closets, storage areas and boxes, I put anything that is really good quailty that no one in my family wants right into a box and when it's full I put it in my car and drop it off at local Goodwill. One man's garbage is another man's treasure is so true.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:31 PM

We've been ditching, too. Things that meant something to us when we were little were just that. Time to go. Our kids have a more practical outlook than we have had. I kept many "heirlooms", no matter how much I disliked them, and my kids don't like them either. They've taken up space and supplied guilt...out with them. They'll find a happy home.......somewhere else.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 PM

Yup, I too have been "cleaning out" Our younger son went in our basement this spring and came up stairs and said "mom and dad, you both have to promise me One thing. You each throw out 5 things a week from now on, cause you know when you go, I am the one who will have to clean out all the "s@$##&&%&**t in that basement. so I have really been cleaning out, except I have to make sure I throw and my husband does't see what I throw, because invarible, I go out in his garage, and there it is. So I make sure it is gone. But I am making progress. and it feels good. I have not missed a thing I threw out.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:26 PM

My mother just passed away. She lived in the same 3 story house for 62 years. I do not beleive she ever threw anything away. I am overwhelmed at the amount of stuff we have to somehow dispose of. I am sure it will bring back many memories and laughs but I am overwhelmed at where to even begin. She was a good houskeeper but in recent years the basement and upper floor became a catch all for all items she was no longer using. I dread even getting started
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 PM

sorry double posted
Old 08-21-2011, 05:30 PM

Anyone over 50 thinks about these issues. I call it pre-estate cleaning and have begun tossing many precious things to me that I know they do not want unless it might sell on e-bay as an antique. The joys of life's full circle.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by valsma
I don't have birthday cards or stuff like that, but I know somewhere out in the garage there are totes and boxes with stuff in them that I haven't seen in years. I don't know why I keep them, I'm not even sure if it is stuff that I have a feeling about. Just stuff. I know I should get rid of it, but the task is so daunting I guess it is just easier to leave it alone.
I know why I keep the totes & boxes I have had in the garage since we moved in 11 years ago...it's the only way for me to claim some space in the 3 car garage! I made the mistake of sorting & getting rid of some & not 48 hours later my DH had taken the space I made...even though I had plans to put my gardening trunk & tools there. Never again! The remaining totes & boxes are there to stay until I die! LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 06:48 PM

I have started getting rid of stuff - the kids are interested in most of it. So off it goes.