to throw away or not

Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 AM

I was just at Mama's (she's 79) last night, looking for some old pics I wanted show my uncle. Needless to say, didn't find the pics but offered to help with the ton of keepsakes we dug out. I know at least a couple of days I'll be helping her go thru her stuff. When we were all little, every time she opened the cedar chest it seemed to me like opening a treasure chest even tho I had seem the contents all my life :lol:
Old 08-21-2011, 09:22 AM
KLO

Well, we moved twice within 7 months. Want to get rid of "stuff"? That's one way to do it. Of course, now we cannot remember if we left something at the first house, sold it at auction, gave it away, left it at the second house, or if it might still be in a box somewhere in the current house. Ugh! We did send boxes of things to the kids that I had saved for them but only after chucking some of it.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
I don't have birthday cards or stuff like that, but I know somewhere out in the garage there are totes and boxes with stuff in them that I haven't seen in years. I don't know why I keep them, I'm not even sure if it is stuff that I have a feeling about. Just stuff. I know I should get rid of it, but the task is so daunting I guess it is just easier to leave it alone.
Pretty much the way I feel. I think if I did not have health problems, I'd de-clutter more.....(sigh)
Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 AM

Freedom for me is definitely 'letting go'. Not hard, once you get the hang of it.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
Hubby and I have been working on decluttering this last month. We started with a shelf or a drawer and are doing it slowly so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. Our library is having a used book sale, so we are sorting out the books and have taken several bags of books we know we won't read. Next is to gather a bag full of
DVDs, CDs, cassette tapes, VHS tapes, and a few old 8-tracks to donate. I have been sorting my stash as I rearrange my fabric room, and have discovered a lot of stuff that can't be used for quilting that was given to me. So off it goes to someone on Freecycle. I figure it will take a year or so, but we will get there.
Did this a few years ago and found that all the 8 tracks had disintegrated. All in crumbs! Sad that I hadn't made copies of my favorites.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by sall
I spoke to my cousin a few days ago, who has had the decorators in. She started doing a bit of clearing out, and found she still had her 21st birthday cards (she is 70). When her daughter called, the question she asked was (qoute) "If I dropped dead tomorrow what would you do with all these cards and things" reply from her daughter. " I would just throw them all out". I suddenly realised that I still had my 21st cards and loads of other cards such as invitations, thank you cards etc and realised that my children would do exactly the same. Looking at my 21st cards ( I am 75) I cannot remember who some of the people were. Well this then started me on a clear it all out spree, and I cannot believe the junk I have kept over the years. I have one spare single bed, and would you belive, I have 4 duvets for that one bed, and six covers for the duvet, and I might add that the bed is only used occasionally.The charity shop is due for a car load of goods from me next week.
Are we all like this, or are many of you more organised. I must add that I am exhausted after bit all.
My elderly (85) neighbor passed away earlier in the year, and I am the executor of her estate.

She must never have thrown a scrap of paper away! I found her mother's birth certificate, her high school calling cards, the owner's manual of every single appliance she ever owned (virtually none of which were currently in the house), valentines she received as a small child, every single cancelled check, the 'for sale' sign that was on her house when it was purchased 64 years ago, etc., etc.

It's taken me all summer to just get through the paperwork. I didn't mentioned the 10+, 4" thick photo albums with multiple photos in each slot! And journals from 30 years (that she should have burned before she died!) And so many sets of china that I've lost count!

I'm now cleaning and decluttering my own house like the energizer bunny! Never do I want to leave such a big job to my family!!

Jory
Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 AM

I have had to clean out a house that was full of my brothers collections. Believe me it is not a fun job. I have since cleaned out a lot of my extras and need to do more. I don't want my kids to have to go through what I did.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by merchjag
... The question I ask myself also is would my kids want it? If the answer is no away it goes. ...
My DGM asked me years ago if there was anything that I wanted in her home as she thought she might move. At first I said no but she asked me again a few months later. When I said yes there is she was floored when I said her button box. She had many fine things but I knew that might get tossed. After her "Land's sake"!! reply we had a good time looking through it. She had buttons from HER mother's wedding dress!! Who knew??

Just ask first before tossing the "junk"

piney
Old 08-21-2011, 10:38 AM

I have so much that is not being used. Time to downsize!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:39 AM

My current husband has help me de-clutter. That is one of his pet-peeves. I had stuff from my life for 50 years, two sons, left-overs from 3 previous husbands, and parents. I also did woodworking, stenciling, cross stitch, painting, quilting & sewing, reading, weight loss and weight gain. (Clothes for 5 diffenent sizes. some hoping to get back to some not.) My husband said I needed to step over the "Bodies" I allowed him get rid of stuff I did not have the courage to say good by too. Somethings I would just hand to him and leave it to him to decide what to do. Do I know what is gone? No. Do I miss anything? no. Have I missed anything? No. Because I did not really know what I had stored back to know what I could get rid of. I know what I wanted to keep and kept what I wanted to keep. I am glad the stuff is gone and I do not have that clutter.