to throw away or not

Old 08-21-2011, 07:10 AM

After the passing of my Father-in-law, cleaning out his place, arguments over the dumbest things (pots & pans..really), I decided it was time to start throwing things out. Are my children really going to want all my anniversary cards? I have more of their stuff then they do as it is :) I think we reach a point in our lives shen it's just time to let clutter go.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:22 AM

i had this same "light bulb" moment a month ago. i'd been cleaning out my folk's basement after three "floods" in two weeks. there were 56 years worth of mom's antiques, dad's tools/woodworking/metalworking stuff in there. the wetness decided some of it, but most of the rest is going to go, as well. it dawned on me that the things that meant so much to them and to me only did so because of my connection to those people. my children didn't know MY aunts, grandparents, etc. so, the kids are taking the things that mean something to them, or catch their fancy, and i'm letting my memories go, so there is more room in that house for the new kids that are living there. the "good stuff" stays for me--but there is so much that has lost its meaning through the years, that it should go into the hands of someone who wants to have it, and not just sit waiting in the basement for long departed folks. the charity pickup starts next week...
Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 AM

I am 72 and DH is 75> We moved 3 years ago after 46 years in the same house. I got rid of lots of STUFF then. Unfortunately, we both come from families of savers. I still have my grandparents very ornate wedding license along with my parents confirmation certificates, marriage license, graduation papers and tons of photos. I figured if my mother saved it for so many years, I should too, Also I lost 175 lbs so had lots of clothes to get rid of. We did move into a bigger house. When we tell people we upsized and they question why?, my husband answers, because we are certifyibly insane. At least now I have lots of room for sewing stuff.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by sall
I spoke to my cousin a few days ago, who has had the decorators in. She started doing a bit of clearing out, and found she still had her 21st birthday cards (she is 70). When her daughter called, the question she asked was (qoute) "If I dropped dead tomorrow what would you do with all these cards and things" reply from her daughter. " I would just throw them all out". I suddenly realised that I still had my 21st cards and loads of other cards such as invitations, thank you cards etc and realised that my children would do exactly the same. Looking at my 21st cards ( I am 75) I cannot remember who some of the people were. Well this then started me on a clear it all out spree, and I cannot believe the junk I have kept over the years. I have one spare single bed, and would you belive, I have 4 duvets for that one bed, and six covers for the duvet, and I might add that the bed is only used occasionally.The charity shop is due for a car load of goods from me next week.
Are we all like this, or are many of you more organised. I must add that I am exhausted after bit all.
I hear you sister, especially about the extra bed covers. We just had upstair bathroom redone and all the extra stuff was put into our two 'guest/hobby rooms". As I'm slowly getting all the bathroom stuff put away I'm continuing on to clear out those bedroom closets of too many pillows, blankets, and clothes stored in them. Blankets and afghans are going to local church for Homeless people in NY.

I keep B-day cards, Thanks yous, etc. on my dining room hutch and every once in awhile I read them again and then put them into the recycling. Not mentioning the shoe boxes of stuff from grandkids, drawings, graduation and dance recital programs, etc., I'm saving that chore for a day this winter when it's too icy to go out of doors.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:34 AM

I'm in the process of moving my sewing room to another space and turning my "former sewing room" into an office/guest room. These new homes have NO storage. Its really difficult trying to set up a neat sewing area but I am trying to toss what I can as I go along. I've become addicted to the "Hoarders" tv show and now when I look at things I think, oh my gosh....I'm headed for being a hoarder! Not even close but it scares me into not keeping everything now just in case it "might" be useful in the future. I've also narrowed my crafts down to quilting and cross stitch. Gathering fabric because once I retire (not far away) I won't have money for material. Love this thread.....inspiring.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 AM

I am a collector of many things! 2 years ago I decided to downsize and I sold my large home. I called in antique dealers and had a massive house sale. I kept what I thought I would need in my present home. I do miss a few things and wish I had kept them but basically I think I could do another sale! I like having empty closets and I don't entertain like we once did so I really don't need all of the dishes, etc. I think I need to take a course on how to sell on Ebay!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Our basement had several inches of water all over the floor in June, due to a storm drain malfunction. Three of our four children came to help clean, one drove all night from Colorado, while they were here, lots of sorting took place, not only of wet boxes, and lots of 'things' went out the door. I too save greeting cards, did keep one boxful--those from our great grandchildren. We need to sort again, believe me. piecefully, the old one
Old 08-21-2011, 08:09 AM

You might want to tell your children to check with an auctioneer. We were going to throw out a cardboard poster (I think from the 1980's) and our auctioneer said no, it will sell.
My kids have asked me too why I keep some things like my grandpa's camelback trunk. To me this is a duh, its my grandpas'. Its not in good shape on the outside but the inside has a beautiful tray and between it and the inside of the lid are 3 pictures on them. Well a feew weeks ago one of my sons called and said he was watching a show and a trunk like mine went for $500 and if it were fixed up it would sell for up to $3000 and the tv trunk didn't have the 3 pictures, so now my son says I can keep it.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 AM

I just went through all the pictures I had in the house, I scanned many of them, then I sorted them out. I prepared a personal album for each of my children, grand and great grand kids. Since I inherited the family pictures from my parents, I sent cousins the pictures of uncles and aunts, it made some of them very happy they had never seen a picture of their parents when they were young,I was taught that something , you throw away can be a treasure for someone else.I sent pictures of the blessing of the cross to the people living in my grandfather old house, (The cross on the side of the road was erected in 1945 ,a vow made by my grandparents because WWII ended before my uncles were called in the army. I contacted towns, organizations, groups when I could explain the whens and the whys of the pictures I wanted to give them and receive lots of positive answers, It was certainly a lot of work, but all the efforts put give me a satisfaction, a family, a town or an organization is a continuity, older people will remember, younger ones will learn and respect what we call History.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Willa
You might want to tell your children to check with an auctioneer. We were going to throw out a cardboard poster (I think from the 1980's) and our auctioneer said no, it will sell.
My kids have asked me too why I keep some things like my grandpa's camelback trunk. To me this is a duh, its my grandpas'. Its not in good shape on the outside but the inside has a beautiful tray and between it and the inside of the lid are 3 pictures on them. Well a feew weeks ago one of my sons called and said he was watching a show and a trunk like mine went for $500 and if it were fixed up it would sell for up to $3000 and the tv trunk didn't have the 3 pictures, so now my son says I can keep it.
Isn't funny how much something is OK to keep once they know it's worth something to someone besides yourself.

I've begun passing some old stuff down to my granddaughters, gave oldest DGD my MIL's chest with silverplated service for 8 flatware, another DGD asked for my grandmother's macaroni platter that my mother used and then I did for years, made copies for each family of photo of my grandfather with his open front taxi cab circa 1914. Have only one grandson and when he's older he'll get my FIL's and DH's rings. Had rings made for 6 DGD's with diamond chips from MIL's wedding rings and added their birthstones on the side. It's only a little bit but I'm getting there.