to throw away or not

Old 08-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingme
What do you do with old photographs? I have a storage chest full, and I know my sons would not want them, but I cannot bring myself to throw them out. Lots of memories there!
Scan them into your computer, add identifying info while your memory is still good, make CD's for kids or anyone else who wants them.

BTW if anyone has old color slides they are getting rid of, you can send them my way.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Cyn

I am always torn about tossing stuff out but I'll never try to sell it and neither would my kids so I need to follow the examples here and Just Do It! Thanks for the encouragement :)
Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
I think we're all like this, just to different degrees. I try to clear out a couple times a year. My rule is if it hasn't been used in the last two years, out it goes. Except for my stash, of course. Some things are just sacred!!
I have purged and purged, getting rid of the entire contents of 4,500 sq house including full basement. Great feeling! You all know what I kept! Yep, the stash, machines, tools, patterns, and a few clothes and family pictures! Even got rid of yearbooks and annuals. They have no meaning for my kids. My husband and I were both widowed and he's finally starting to do much of the same thing. We're focusing on the here and now and not leaving a mess for the kids to figure out.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:41 AM

Pass on what you want to whom you would like to have it,NOW. Two of my friends just had dumpsters put in their mom's driveways & dumped everything. Both knew they were dumping collectabiles. One was pressed for time (going on a cruise) & the other had already down sized herself.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 AM

I too saved all the letters, cards, etc and my goal is when I retire, I will have time to go back and read some of them. Especially the letters my late mom sent me while I was stationed overseas. I have already given some items to my only child, the letters that really meant something to me. I was also thinking, maybe some items can be scanned, print on fabric and made into a quilt. Just an idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:07 AM

If you have old photos and you want to get rid of them and you are sure you family does not. Please consider giving them to your local historical society.

Old letters and miltary documents are ususally welcomed too. May be in a hundred years your family is famous.

Yearbooks and annuals are also normally accepted.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki W
If you have old photos and you want to get rid of them and you are sure you family does not. Please consider giving them to your local historical society.

Old letters and miltary documents are ususally welcomed too. May be in a hundred years your family is famous.

Yearbooks and annuals are also normally accepted.
Yes!! Famous or not, our historical society has many old photos of local people that are IDENTIFIED. I can't count the number that has been accepted for accession in the past. Sure it documents clothing but who are the people?? We also have vintage sewing machines, dishes, toys, clothing....all the items have a local connection. Don't throw, ask first!

piney

piney
Old 08-20-2011, 12:34 PM

Even got rid of yearbooks and annuals.
----------------------------------------------------
After I lost my DH, I have been more or less decluttering all the way with Flylady, but the process is slow. Son put DH's yearbooks on eBay and I was stunned to find how much they brought!!! Son said that when many guys (and probably gals) who did go to such famous colleges in CA finally worked themselves up to their fancy offices, they had lost their own yearbooks but wanted to prove to others (or themselves) that they did go there!! I got the dough and the empty shelves, and enjoyed both.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Every now and then I get into a dump it mood...and take advantage of it.... ;-)
I have 2 sons, also...and know for a fact that 85% of my treasures would hit a dumpster soon after my demise. I try to dump some things everytime I get to doing a deep cleaning of an area.
That's whatI do! When the mood hits, I start throwing out. My kids tell me all the time to get rid of "stuff" , and I know they don't want it.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Originally Posted by quiltingme
What do you do with old photographs? I have a storage chest full, and I know my sons would not want them, but I cannot bring myself to throw them out. Lots of memories there!
Scan them into your computer, add identifying info while your memory is still good, make CD's for kids or anyone else who wants them.

BTW if anyone has old color slides they are getting rid of, you can send them my way.
what kind of slides are you looking for? People,places, scenery? Had I known you two years ago I could have given you thousands. I still have quite a few, let me kow .