to throw away or not

Old 08-20-2011, 06:20 AM

i love old cards. i collect them and put them in albums. the older ones are alot cuter than alot of what you get today. i love old valentines too and keep those. i declutter on other things. lol i used to hold onto old magazines but i have let most of them go now.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by MissM
Don't forget though some of these item's that you toss may actually be collectible items.
My DH's aunt (a teacher) kept every valentine she ever received from her students. After her death her kids had an auction of the contents of the home. These valentines were very popular, and sold for some of the largest amounts. So, those birthday cards....?????
Old 08-20-2011, 06:25 AM

50 year old greeting cards might sell on ebay. I have sold some from the 1920's.
But in general, WOO HOO for clearing things out!!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:38 AM

I have spent the last year going through my basement.... which had become a "catch all" for the past 7 years. Yes that's right.... 7 years of off loading anything and everything to the basement. I am a very organized person... and little did I know how this mess was tearing me up on the inside.

I have went through every box, tote, bag, corner and crevice. Many times.... when I began to get that overwhelming feeling.. I just had to walk away. I kept telling myself... a little at a time. This box today.... tomorrow another box. Additionally, my kids have conveniently deposited many of their things to be stored in Mom's basement... lol.

I am very happy to say that it is very, very close to being complete. I never dreamed that it would take me one year!!! Holy smokes. But I just kept trudging along... a little at a time. I work full time and could not devote full days to the task. And... I did not beat myself up over taking soooooo long.

It is so worth it. Everything has a place... and everything is in its place. It is a happy place now and not a place of dread.

For anyone else that may be facing a daunting task like this.... I encourage you to take the first step.... go thru one box. Be prepared to let stuff go.... have a "throw away" pile.... "give away".... maybe "yard sale" pile. It is so liberating.

Happy decluttering!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:38 AM

Postcards are also collectible. I am slowly downsizing my stuff but anything that has a family connection gets saved (I am a genealogist, and am thankful for scraps of paper from my ancestors...)
Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 AM

Have been working on getting rid of junk for a few years and I think one more go through will just about finish it up and will only have my fabric left I am even giving most of my photos to each child and grandchildren I just want it all gone.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

A fun site to check out is: www,flylady.net. She has declutter ideas, cleaning, cooking, etc. :)
Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 AM

When we moved MIL to the nursing home it was time to clean out her house. Little did we know that she saved everything. And I mean everything! Had household reciepts from the day they got married, every card every letter, clothing, games toys you name it, she saved it. It was overwhelming to say the least. I go through my house and clear out a lot. (except the fabric, lol) Got a big pile of stuff going to the thrift store today.

Sorry, double post

This is kind of spooky, I was just thinking an hour or so ago that I better start getting rid of things so that my spouse and kids wont have to through it all out....