Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is it time to get rid of my paperback books? >

Is it time to get rid of my paperback books?

Is it time to get rid of my paperback books?

Old 07-21-2017, 07:55 AM

I donated most of my books to my library. I only use an e-reader now unless it's a quilting book or some special type book.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:03 AM

There are some coffee shops that also have a free book shelf or take one--read--and return or replace it with a different book.
Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
Hi everyone,
I find myself thinking about this today while I reorganize and clean for company. Our library system in Florida is the best I've ever used with access to all of the county's library collections and a speedy inter-library loan program. Here in Maine, this year, I am borrowing all of my books via Overdrive. (While I find that I don't seem to remember the books as well when I read them on my iPad, the convenience is great).
These books have given me such pleasure over the years. But...maybe it's time to pass them along to someone else. The Community Center where I quilt has a free book shelf for both kids' books and adult books. Maybe it's time to add to that.
What do you think?
lots2do
Old 07-21-2017, 11:21 AM

There is nothing like holding a book while reading it,the feel and smell of it. I only keep my favorites in hardbacks,
other wise I would have no room to live in.lol. I would donate them, and give them away. You could start one of the
little library stands for people in your neighborhood, where they can take and read one and leave one,just an ideal.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 AM

I donate all my read books and magazines to our local library. Any they don't want for their collection are donated to "the friends of the library" at the senior center where they are sold and the money is split between the senior center and the library for new books. Biggest bang for my donated books.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:26 AM

I have reduced the number of physical books I have in the house (donated either to charity or the library), but kept hold of the ones I re-read/use. I only buy hardbacks of quilting books and recipe books nowadays, but I do keep quite a few paperbacks around since I like to read in the bath and would be nervous of doing that with either hardbacks or an e-reader!!
Old 07-23-2017, 04:37 PM

Homeless and battered women's shelters may use some of the paperback books.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
I have reduced the number of physical books I have in the house (donated either to charity or the library), but kept hold of the ones I re-read/use. I only buy hardbacks of quilting books and recipe books nowadays, but I do keep quite a few paperbacks around since I like to read in the bath and would be nervous of doing that with either hardbacks or an e-reader!!
Good point. I need some tub books around, too. Overdrive is great. Just like a traditional library, you can borrow for two weeks, renew if available, put a hold on a book, borrow for free and pick your font and size. Oh and you can look up a word, too. I've gotten so used to that feature, that I miss it in a 'real' book. I've started a Great Words list on my iPad. I even paid for a digital library card in the neighboring state for their Overdrive collection since they have more of the cozy mysteries I like to read. Reading series is usually very easy. Before a trip I load up a bunch of books and I read them on Airplane mode. Only drawback as I mentioned before is that I remember the books better when reading the real ones. Not sure if this is because I read the electronic ones too fast or it's just the whole experience of holding a book and all.
Oh and there,s a bookmark feature too that is handy.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I remember book clubs. A big magazine would come in the mail and I would select the books I wanted for the next mailing. If I didn't want any I had to send in a no reply by mail. I always thought it was wrong for the customer to have to say they didn't want something or it would be sent to you. The one I enjoyed the most was Reader's Digest Condensed books. Five books in one! I moved and had a nice library to go to so I stopped the book club.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:05 PM

You do know, you can sell your books to Amazon or on Ebay also. There are also some really nice second hand shops that will take books as well. Someone will snatch up your unwanted or not needed books.

I too have gone through most of my books. And have kept the ones that really appealed to me. But, I keep a lot of books and PDF's on my Kindle's as well. I have 2. A paper white and a Fire. And, I love them both. Really the few books I keep now are basically back ups in case for some reason my Kindle's aren't charge. I also keep about 20 reference Quilt books on hand. (I used to have many many more.) I buy paper copies very selectively now.

I feel like a lot of you, I can always buy it again or borrow it from the library.

But, the electronic books really do save time and money and space in my life.

So, if these books no longer bring joy to your life, let them go. I'm sure you can find someone who will appreciate them.