Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is it time to get rid of my paperback books? >

Is it time to get rid of my paperback books?

Is it time to get rid of my paperback books?

Old 07-19-2017, 01:36 PM

Default Is it time to get rid of my paperback books?

Hi everyone,
I find myself thinking about this today while I reorganize and clean for company. Our library system in Florida is the best I've ever used with access to all of the county's library collections and a speedy inter-library loan program. Here in Maine, this year, I am borrowing all of my books via Overdrive. (While I find that I don't seem to remember the books as well when I read them on my iPad, the convenience is great).
These books have given me such pleasure over the years. But...maybe it's time to pass them along to someone else. The Community Center where I quilt has a free book shelf for both kids' books and adult books. Maybe it's time to add to that.
What do you think?
lots2do
Old 07-19-2017, 01:38 PM

I buy and sell at a used book store so I just turn them in and get new ones.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:48 PM

I loan many books to other readers (neighbors, friends, relatives) and when they come back, I keep special ones and donate the rest to an organization that sells books and does good things with the money. It's called REACH. My name is in every book in pencil before loaning out.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

unless you have a very favorite, i say they should go... others will be able to enjoy them instead of them just sitting on a shelf.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

I went through this a couple of years ago. I also use Overdrive and love it. (mostly I get audio but some kindle) I had so many bookcases overflowing with books that it was getting ridiculous. I got rid of most of them, keeping my absolute favorites. As I went through them I was amazed at how many I didn't want and to this day I don't miss them.
I'm a huge lover of audiobooks and have several ipods to accomodate them. I still can't seem to part with my nursing books, even though they are really old. But other than them the books I kept are extra special. I'm so into getting rid of stuff these days
Old 07-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Thanks for your responses. I do think this is the right thing to do.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

We sold or donated almost all the books in our collection about 14 years ago. They were taking up too much space, and I finally realized that in the unlikely event I wanted to read one again I could either get it from the library or buy another copy. I haven't converted to digital format yet, but probably will one of these days. Meanwhile I use the public library.

Quilting books, however - that's another story. I do re-visit the same books frequently, and my collection is always growing.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:12 PM

Yep, pass them on. Lighten your load and brighten someone else's day.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Our library here is always willing to take books. My Husband has way more than I do. I have donated mine all along.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Our library here is always willing to take books. My Husband has way more than I do. I have donated mine all along.
Well my library is not always willing to take books. I checked out a "classic" book, one that is required reading in high school (ie, not some dime store novel) . Anyway, I left it out in the rain, and ruined it. So I went and bought a brand new copy of the book, and took it to the library, with my apology. Needless to say, the librarian was not happy, she explained all books had to be approved, and selected by a committee. (wait, wasn't this classic already approved and selected????). It seems each new printing by a publisher makes a new barcode number, and now they don't match. She went on and on. and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what I was suppose to do. I think I was suppose to to and say it was "lost", pay the $15.00 lost fee, and let the library committee buy the new one. (the new book was only $6.95)....but it would not be there and available when the high school kids needed it. I can't figure it out, but I do know they don't want any donated books that way. Books that are "donated" are sold at a "book fair" in the parking lot for cash, and the cash goes to the library committee, who selects and buys only "approved books". Just wanted to share.