Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is it time to get rid of my paperback books? >

Is it time to get rid of my paperback books?

Is it time to get rid of my paperback books?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:57 AM

i had quite a library of paperbacks for years, and I would read a favorite now and then. Every so often I downsized them. However, I noticed how yellowed some books were, so they would go into the recycling box. The print is usually small and it is now difficult to enjoy them unless I use store-bought reading glasses, lol. Now I am a fan of Overdrive and borrow Kindle books from my local library. Amazon sells Kindle Books and I buy those when the prices are reasonable. eBooks are a blessing because the type/font can be adjusted to a bigger size.

I almost never buy books except for quilt books!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:20 AM
Power Poster

My DH still has his books from college, over 40 yrs ago, has never once used any of them as a reference for information. I have packed and lugged these things so many times.

I keep a diary of the books I have read with a mark to indicate worth re reading in the future or passed along. I give away more books than I keep. My post office has a trade shelf and then there is a community trade box that I use. I don't keep books unless they are really special to me. I always write a little note in the cover and sign my name and hope future readers will do the same as they are passed around.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:29 AM

I moved about 2 years ago from a home to a small condo. One of the things that had to be downsized was my personal collection of books. I kept only those that I know I would read again. I kept series that bring me joy and a donated nearly all of my paperback books to my local library for their sale. Honestly, my local library supplies me with all I need but some books really have stolen my heart and those I kept. I donated 12 of those big brown paper bags of books to the library and then gifted all of my nieces and nephews with a big bag of children's books for Christmas that year. Each child got between 25 and 30 books. I was an early childhood teacher and bibliophile. Now I only have a few very special children's books that belonged to me, my children and those that are favorites of my grandchildren. Oh, I kept antique text books from the 1920's in my children's collection. What teacher can give those away?
Old 07-20-2017, 04:36 AM

I currently have over 5000 books in my library, and last Christmas I donated over 1500 to different organizations. I have the space for my books, and have reread all of them at some point, and will continue to over the years.

I donate the books that I didn't really enjoy.

I say if you have the room, and like the books keep them, otherwise, donate - but be careful. My library wouldn't take the and I had to do some research to find organizations that would take them.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Well my library is not always willing to take books. I checked out a "classic" book, one that is required reading in high school (ie, not some dime store novel) . Anyway, I left it out in the rain, and ruined it. So I went and bought a brand new copy of the book, and took it to the library, with my apology. Needless to say, the librarian was not happy, she explained all books had to be approved, and selected by a committee. (wait, wasn't this classic already approved and selected????). It seems each new printing by a publisher makes a new barcode number, and now they don't match. She went on and on. and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what I was suppose to do. I think I was suppose to to and say it was "lost", pay the $15.00 lost fee, and let the library committee buy the new one. (the new book was only $6.95)....but it would not be there and available when the high school kids needed it. I can't figure it out, but I do know they don't want any donated books that way. Books that are "donated" are sold at a "book fair" in the parking lot for cash, and the cash goes to the library committee, who selects and buys only "approved books". Just wanted to share.
I just wanted to add that there may be a lot of behind the scene work at the book fair you may be unaware of. I was the chair of our local library's sale of donated books. As the books were brought in for donation they were sorted by library staff, any that were needed and could be added to library shelves were set aside. Staff had to manually add them to the collection, which does take time, and time equals money....so they were particular about which ones to add, but I know that many were set aside every year and added to the library shelves. Also, the money from our sale paid for many things besides books. Public libraries rely on government funding, which comes with many strings attached on how it may be spent. The funds we raised had no such limitations and was able to pay for things that otherwise would have been unavailable to them.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

At the last library used book sale we had over 13 boxes of paperback books left. No one wanted them even when offered for free. We called nursing homes, prison, and missions. We took all the leftovers to Salvation Army. The library has a donation center for used books and volunteers sort and box them for the sales. The last few sales not many books were sold, even the newer ones. It's like the library is the middle man, receiving the books to deliver to the donation center.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:36 AM

I donate my used/read paperbacks to my local library all the time. When I get a paper grocery sack full, I drop them off. No issues. They either recycle or sell - their choice. I usually rent from my local library (in hard/soft cover vs electronic) and only buy when I am out of town and out of a book or locally when I am out of a book and the library is closed.

The local library is such a valuable resource that, sadly, most folks just don't realize. In addition to reading material there are tons of resource materials; cultural event tickets; etc. I love libraries and 'real' books!
Old 07-20-2017, 05:42 AM

I pick mine up at garage sales, etc and then donate them to a second hand store or give to a friend when I'm done. For me, I won't ever go electronic as I like the feeling of holding a book and if I should loose it, not a big deal. That's just me though.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:11 AM

Several years ago I purchased a Kindle because I was running out of book shelf space. Since then, I have ordered many of my favorite books for my Kindles (yes, I now have 3 different ones). I passed most of my paper copies to friends who then either took them to nursing homes or to another friend who worked with a military group to send books overseas.

And now I can put quilting books on the shelves for easier access. I don't think I will ever be comfortable doing quilt patterns from books on my Kindles.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
At the last library used book sale we had over 13 boxes of paperback books left. No one wanted them even when offered for free. We called nursing homes, prison, and missions. We took all the leftovers to Salvation Army. The library has a donation center for used books and volunteers sort and box them for the sales. The last few sales not many books were sold, even the newer ones. It's like the library is the middle man, receiving the books to deliver to the donation center.
I helped out after a library book sale in a medium sized town. There were so many books left (after everything was FREE the last hour of the sale). At the library's request I filled an entire dumpster (about 6' x 6' x 5' high) with paperbacks. And that didn't even make a dent in the books that were left.

There are entirely too many books around that no one wants.