Tipping a Hairdresser

Old 08-06-2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by dms View Post
I agree. I guess you're even supposed to tip for carry-outs. I try to do a good job at my job, but I don't get tipped. Aren't we supposed to do our best regardless? I know waitresses don't get paid what they should, but hairdressers get plenty for their work. IMO
We will not and never tip for pickup/carry-out. As it stands, we eat out very little, but get so angry when the Interac machine asks how much of a tip we'd like to leave. Zero. We just finished driving down to your place of business, ordering from you, paying for the gas used, and our time to leave the house and then drive back home again, and you'd like us to leave a tip? Where is the angry face when you need one.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
. . . We just finished driving down to your place of business, ordering from you, paying for the gas used, and our time to leave the house and then drive back home again, and you'd like us to leave a tip? Where is the angry face when you need one.
Don't most people do that when they go to a hair salon?
Old 08-06-2017, 03:19 PM

I'll tell you what has always bothered me most about tipping table servers, is how much of that tip goes to the cook for turning out a tasty meal? I mean anyone can deliver a couple of plates of food to a table, but how about the cook in the back who's slaving away in a hot, busy, and stressful place, does he or she get a cut of my tip?

In Canada, it's law that a percentage of tip money go to kitchen staff, but... does it really.

The part about tipping that burns me most, is how employees seem to have taken it all for granted nowadays. It's not earned like it used to be, it's become matter-a-fact like today, and that's where tips and I clash.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Don't most people do that when they go to a hair salon?
They absolutely do, which is why I've never been a big supporter of tipping, no matter who it is on the receiving end. I think tipping has gotten WAY out hand today.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:33 PM

I think of tipping today as a free for all, an opportunity to make money at someone else's expense, regardless of whether or not quality service has been delivered.

Today it's 20%, tomorrow it will be 50%, and just when and where does it exactly end?

I'm old-fashioned, and as far as I'm concerned, the person on the receiving end of my tipping will receive such tips when they've rightfully earned my tips, and not until. Provide me with anything less than 100% of what I am after and expect, and bye-bye tip.

Last edited by Endora; 08-06-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:28 PM

Can't weigh in on Hair Salon tipping, because I haven't been to a salon in umpteen years! I cut and color my own hair. Coffee shops...nope...don't go there either. Manicures and pedicures...nope not that either. But we/I do eat out, and usually tip 25-30%. Service/food must be good, and server attentive and friendly. My first real job, (50+ years ago) was waitressing. I learned a lot about people, how to make them happy, and how I wanted to be treated and how they wanted to be treated. That being said, tipping should be optional. No one should feel their quality of service depends on the quantity of the tip!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
Can't weigh in on Hair Salon tipping, because I haven't been to a salon in umpteen years! I cut and color my own hair. Coffee shops...nope...don't go there either. Manicures and pedicures...nope not that either. But we/I do eat out, and usually tip 25-30%. Service/food must be good, and server attentive and friendly. My first real job, (50+ years ago) was waitressing. I learned a lot about people, how to make them happy, and how I wanted to be treated and how they wanted to be treated. That being said, tipping should be optional. No one should feel their quality of service depends on the quantity of the tip!
I need to follow-suit and start doing my own hair!