tipping

Old 09-01-2011, 05:08 AM

I feel that restuarants charge plenty for their food that they could at least pay minimum salary most fast food places are psying 10.00 an hour so what is wrong with resuarants I look at that as rip offs and very seldom go to one I prefer McDonalds and Pizza Huts at least they are fair to their employees just my thoughts
Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 AM

T I P, to insure promptness. If the service is good, if they are friendly and attentive I have no problem with handing them 20 - 25%. But it depends on the service.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
I agree, it's sad that people don't receive at least min. wage. I mean, min. wage is still not a living wage but if they got tips on top of that...but the other person is right too, if prices are raised to pay everyone properly, many people will stop eating out as much.

We have been told that so often that people believe it. AS in A Lie Told Often Enough, Loudly Enough, Is Believed.
It has always seemed to me that paying wait staff a living wage in salary would not result in any more out of pocket expense for patrons than paying a decent tip. Note the emphasis on decent. I have some acquaintances with whom I will not go to a restaurant because they always left a $1 tip and I always made up the difference so the wait person wouldn't get shafted. As for the reason food and entertainment establishments are exempt from minimum wage laws, it's because they've got a great lobby in Washington. They are also the reason we switch to daylight savings time. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that trading an hour of sunshine in the morning for an hour of sunshine at night is a wash. froggyintexas

It's sort of a no win situation. I don't like that tipping is expected to be part of their basic pay, I liked it when it was a reward for excellent service. It's not the servers fault that they aren't paid properly...I do tip 15-20% when ever we eat out.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

how can anyone pay less than minimum wage? that is something i don't understand.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie
I feel that restuarants charge plenty for their food that they could at least pay minimum salary most fast food places are psying 10.00 an hour so what is wrong with resuarants I look at that as rip offs and very seldom go to one I prefer McDonalds and Pizza Huts at least they are fair to their employees just my thoughts
They're not ripping you off. They can't afford to charge McDonald's prices.

1. They have a lot more employees to pay. McDonald's doesn't hire a wait-staff, just a couple people to staff the cash register and the drive through.

2. They have to buy a far wider variety of foods and drinks because they serve a much more varied menu, and buy a lot more fresh foods which costs more. Wish fresh foods there will also be more spoilage and waste, which doesn't happen with your frozen patties and fries.

3. They have fewer people spending more time in the restaurant. In a McDonald's you have people come in, grab food, and leave. Even when people sit down at a booth to eat, they seat themselves (no hostess), aren't waited on (wait staff), and they usually only spend 15 minutes or so. At a restaurant there is no walking up to the counter and ordering something "to go", there is no drive-through. You sit down and plan to spend an hour or so at the restaurant. McDonald's and other fast food places sacrifice quality for volume. Quantity not quality.

So if a restaurant (not a fast food or pizza joint) paid their wait-staff minimum wage, they would absolutely have to raise prices on their menu, just to cover the increased costs. And people would stop going there because they would say "Why should I pay more to eat here? I'll go to some other place where it's cheaper, this place is trying to rip people off." Truly they are not. It's not so much that they're being greedy, but they have to compete with all the other restaurants in the area who are charging less. And if you think that people wouldn't be swayed by lower prices I just have two words for you- Wal Mart. People want stuff for cheap or for free, and instead of paying more so that people can earn a fair wage, they would go to the cheaper place and leave a tip, because tips are "optional".

Also I have never heard of a fast food restaurant paying 10.00 an hour unless that is actually minimum wage in a particular state. They all start you out at minimum wage unless you're in management.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 AM

A couple of friendsand I were talking last night about tipping and they were saying they tip the UPS driver...I have never tipped them...they make decent wages!! I guess thats why they don't leave the packages on my covered screened porch!! They told me it was because the sender had a policy about not leaving the package...I called QVC and they have no such policy so I guess they are wanting a tip!!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:00 AM

I do tip 20% unless the server is pretty bad. I usually judge by water. If I have to ask for more water, I generally tip less than if the server can see I need more and brings it without my asking. Plus I tend to tip more, percentage wise, if I eat out at breakfast, becasue they have to do the same work as at dinner, and breakfast is generally much less espensive. I'm not a fan of the tip jar at pizza places, when they are not really serving, just running the register. I REALLY hate to wait for the check when I'm finished eating. I wish there were some sort of MAC machine at the table where you could just pay and leave, instead of having to wait till your server brings the check and then wait again till they get the change or charge slip.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:02 AM
j

Ialways fix my tip so the bill ends in 00's, then when I get my credit card statement, the restaurant bill can never have cents on it. I tip generously, mostly on my water fill up. If I have a coupon for food, I give the waiter/waitress the difference. -- J.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM

I agree that OWNERAS should pay the full minimum wage for ALL employees.
I tried waitressing (SERVER) for a few months about 5 years ago and it did not work.
The $100 tip nights were great but the $20 tip nights were awful (Only made $2.19 hourly then).

Waitresses (SERVERS) are not working the full on the customer floor, they are required to do 1 to 2 hours
at $2.19 to roll napkins/silverware or clean their serving station, etc.

I could not live on this salary.

J J
Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie
the NATIONAL minimum wage is $7.25. that's what most people get who work at fast-food places, unless they get bumped up to manager (at the age of 17). then they get $7.50. if they got $10 an hour, you can bet that adults would be competing for those jobs. and putting out the tip jars, too.