TLCs Extreme couponers

Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 PM

I just watched TLCs show extreme couponers and I want to start clipping coupons now. Of course not to the extreme of the people on the show, but if you seen the savings from their grocery baskets, you would start looking too. One person paid 50 something dollars for 1100 dollars worth of goods. Another person paid minimum for 600 dollars worth of goods. Why have I been out of the loop?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:26 PM

my kids clip i dont need to watch that show sounds fun
Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Oh, I got to watch that show!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 PM

I use to clip coupons, but not to that extreme. I still clip a few. Do you think those people are going to use all that pasta before it gets buggy or out dated? Or the one guy that bought 1100 boxes of cereal. I know I don't like stale cereal. He bought over 5 thousand dollars worth of things for $241.00 which is great, but 361 toothbrushes. What is he going to do with all of them?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by gmaybee
I use to clip coupons, but not to that extreme. I still clip a few. Do you think those people are going to use all that pasta before it gets buggy or out dated? Or the one guy that bought 1100 boxes of cereal. I know I don't like stale cereal. He bought over 5 thousand dollars worth of things for $241.00 which is great, but 361 toothbrushes. What is he going to do with all of them?
I thought the cereal was being donated to a food shelter. At least that's what I heard as he was stacking it in his drive way. As for the other people, they seem like food hoarders. I would like to save money too, but what would I do with all of it. I'm thinking of just clipping for what I need.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM

I've seen people grocery shopping who are carrying notebooks with dividers and shoeboxes of coupons. I've never seen the show, but I would guess that it would consume alot of time. Not that I'm opposed to saving money, but I'm retired and don't care to start working again, and especially working at clipping coupons, checking online sources, etc. I clip the ones for products I use and forget about it.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
I've seen people grocery shopping who are carrying notebooks with dividers and shoeboxes of coupons. I've never seen the show, but I would guess that it would consume alot of time. Not that I'm opposed to saving money, but I'm retired and don't care to start working again, and especially working at clipping coupons, checking online sources, etc. I clip the ones for products I use and forget about it.
Yeah a lot of time was putting into their couponing. Way to much time for me to invest right now, but I'm wondering if they had to buy that much of one product (260 something boxes of pasta) to get that much savings. Could they have saved as much with only buy 5 or 6 boxes of pasta?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

I used to do alot too, when we had all the kids at home. I used to be on several websites, that would match coupons with sales. Some stores had double coupons, ect, so you really can get things for free, if you can get LOTS of coupons. Some people BUY lots of coupons, but I didnt do that. I remember last year Kmart had double coupons sales in a few areas, and ours was one. A friend and I went crazy, shared coupons and got like $250.00 worth of stuff for under $40.00. Yes, LOTS of duplicate items, and I gave lots of mine away to people. Like, I got a bunch of nail polish, and make up free....dont use it myself, but my Sister an SIL loved it!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:53 AM

Jennifer: Yeah a lot of time was putting into their couponing. Way to much time for me to invest right now, but I'm wondering if they had to buy that much of one product (260 something boxes of pasta) to get that much savings. Could they have saved as much with only buy 5 or 6 boxes of pasta?[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. I've done the coupon thing, but I think my mistake was that I only bought what I needed, so the savings weren't nearly as dramatic. As I kept watching the show, I had to wonder about them holding onto their 'food stash' long after the expiration date. Also, wouldn't it have been great to see them sharing some of their bounty with a soup kitchen? (But to be fair, I bet some people say similar things about our fabric stashes.)
Old 12-30-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by gmaybee
Perhaps he will give them to a charitable cause.