TMJ and Tinnitus

Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 PM

I have Tinnitus in both ears. I do not have TMJ, but have had jaw pain. I also have middle ear infections often. I have a sweet tooth and love hard cinnamon candies. Dentist says no more hard candies, no chewing on ice (I love ice chips), no grinding teeth. If I find my jaw aching in the morning, I know I have been clenching my teeth and know I need to get a sport's guard from Walmart, form it, and wear at nite. It costs around a $1 and works fine, plus my dentist recommended it as opposed to the more expensive ones.
With the most current earaches, I have found sleeping on a low setting heat pad has really helped.

Bear in mind, I have a gazillion 'bees' buzzing in my ears at all times. I have learned to live with it but do have some things I do to help cope: stay away from loud noises, wear ear phones or plugs when necessary, let family know when noises are getting to me, bought DH a headphone system that he can wear when watching TV. He can turn up the TV as loud as he wants and I don't have to hear it. I wear headbands in winter and when the wind is blowing. Hang in there, you can learn to live with it.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

My DD was diagnosed with TMJ when she was a teen. When her DH became a Chiropractor he keeps her neck in place and she doesn't suffer from it anymore. She does however have fibromyalgia which makes her life difficult with 3 kids all with medical issues.

If you haven't tried a Chiropractor I would suggest it.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:29 PM

I had problems with TMJ for many years. I would be talking and my mouth would lock open! Really embarrassing for a high school teacher! Eventually it just stopped happening. Haven't had any problem for years.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:01 PM

Please make an appointment with your primary care provider as soon as you can. My daughter has these symptoms as well as headaches. Nothing was helping to ease the pain. To make a long story short, she had a study of the vessels in her brain and there are abnormalities. She will need further studies and treatment. Don't just ignore your symptoms. Although they are probably nothing very serious, they could be, it is just not worth taking a chance.
A side thought, some medications including aspirin can cause tinnitis.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by KarenSimon
I suffer from TMJ and tinnitus. Does anyone have any hints/tips on how to ease the pain? My dentist prescribed a mouth guard which helps. Tinnitus is constant. Boom boxes in nearby cars are extremely painful.
A salt free diet is said to assist with this problem. If you got a list of the foods that were naturally high in salt and eat them in moderation, don't add extra salt to food you may find som relief. You should be able to get a list of the foods from sites devoted to Tinnitis and Meniere's sufferers.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:22 AM

My TMJ was helped a great deal by orthdontic work. I got sick with a fever for about 24 hours about eight hours after every adjustment. It was hard because I was working and going to college, had such little money to pay for it. But I think it was worth it!