Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Today is my DD's 13th birthday so why am I feeling so down?

Banned
    I had no idea her 13th birthday would hit me this hard. I have a 16yo and I was happy at her birthday. Anyone else feel this way? She is not quite the baby but she was for 9 years so maybe that is it. Maybe its that in the last few months she has grown 4 inches and now looks like a woman. Why do kids have to grow so darn fast? This was my little girl the one with the blond hair blue eyes that had the most contagious laugh. It is amazing just amazing. For her birthday she wants a facebook page. What happend to the barbie dolls or the easy bake oven stuff.......Ok sorry enough tears for now. Thank you for the many shoulders to cry on! :cry:

My baby girl is 13 too! School is about to start and she will be in the 8th grade. High School next year ...... Really where and why are these years going by so fast. I hope she has a Happy Birthday!!!!!

Banned
    Thank you! I guess I am not ready to get older...They are supposed to be our babies for life!

I haven't experienced that with my girls they are 18 and 16, but I was a little sad when Samantha graduated from high school and then moved out. I guess I would suggest that you can do some fun things with teenagers that you don't do with younger children or at least I didn't, try looking forward to these years even though they are spreading their wings and wanting to fly on their own they still need and want us deep down.

Blog Entries
    My baby girl turn 13 in October, and she is as tall as me now, no longer a baby, it's sad but exciting at the same time

Blog Entries
    I remember feeling very sad when my dtr went off to college. I missed her so much, my only child! That's when I took my first quilting class and thank God for giving me this wonderful hobby.

I know...it's so hard to see our babies grow up. I remember when everything I said was funny and she so loved to go with me places. Things changed and we had some hard days but loved her through it all.
    I have another daughter 9 years older so I knew ahead of time but it was still hard. I just braced myself and tried to love the black lipstick, purple hair, crazy shoes and her thinking I was the fogey lady I was (I am) LOL.
    It's ok...you'll survive and so will she. Hang in there friend!

Blog Entries
    My oldest gradson is going off to college in another state in just 2 weeks. I feel like you. I have nurtured this young man since he was newborn; both parents working. He stayed with me whenever he was too sick to go to daycare. I was the one who was called when he was sick at school, etc. I was the one he called when he was in high school and needed transportation to or from after school activities. He went with me to visit my brother 600 miles away. It is so hard to see him grow up, we know we have done a good job, but know it is coming to an end and we miss that. But life goes on.....

I think the hardest time for me was when my son announced that he was getting married. I kept playing May the Circle be Unbroken on the CD player. He has since divorced so I was right about that one. I cried for days. Now I have another son getting married and this one is a happy one!! They do grow up way to fast!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I hear you!! They are tears of love. I've shed many :)
    Adult kids are wonderful though, so you have that to look forward to. HUGS

I know how you feel, my first born turned 35 this year and i sat and cryed my eyes out not believing it has been that long. He has children of his own and they are growing up fast, but the clincher was my dad he turns 85 this year and I turned 55 and he said to me you are only 40 right and I think he really meant it, he couldnt beleive his little girl was 55, a senior citizen already. Then went on to tell yet again the story about the day I was born. Time sure has a way of getting past you, doesnt it.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    My DD is 16 and that hit me hard. 16 is the big one with drivers permit and lessons. Along came a boyfriend, whom I love and he says he hopes to marry her someday. And then there is realizing only 2 yrs. of high school left then college. :( She is my only girl out of 3 kids.

Hugs, it really is hard. My oldest DD just moved an hour away for college....very hard!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Ohhh they grow up so fast. I have an empty nest but such a full heart for my children and grandchildren. Tell your dd happy birthday, and I hope you are able to do something special with her today.

I feel for you. The oddest thing broke my heart as mine grew up. Different for each one. Now DGD lives with me and I'm doing it all over again.

I will be feeling the same way on Friday. My youngest son will be 46! Where has all the time gone since he was 13?

Banned
    Oh you all are so sweet. Today has been quiet I took her shopping for whatever she wanted. She picked out fake nails. So I know she is still my little girl!