Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Today Is National Quilting Day!

Today Is National Quilting Day!

.........so this is what you should tell your friends and family: "Today is National Quilting Day, so hug your quilt, and take a quilter out to lunch"

Yes, my husband is taking me out to lunch, but it's for the car club.....not much quilting here today..sigh...

Blog Entries
    Why is National Quilting Day on the Ides of March? Anybody know?
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Blog Entries
    Right! and my precious machine got the bobbin "cup" in wonky and cannot be budged! so that was my first thought, too!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

What happens on National Quilting Day?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Our guild gives a quilt to the first baby born in the local hospital on National Quilt Day!

Quote Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
    Why is National Quilting Day on the Ides of March? Anybody know?
    Actually it just happened to fall on the 15th this month. It is the third Saturday of the March and therefore moves from year to year ie: March 15, 2014 - March 21, 2015 - March 19, 2016

NATIONAL QUILTING DAY
    2014 Press Release

The National Quilting Association, Inc. began sponsoring National Quilting Day with a resolution passed by members attending the 22nd in Lincoln, Nebraska in June 1991. The third Saturday in March is officially designated as National Quilting Day, but over the years, observance of National Quilting Day has unofficially expanded to the whole month of March! This year the twenty third annual celebration will be held March 15, 2014.

National Quilting Day gives us the opportunity to reflect with pride on the traditions of quilt making and the contributions quilt makers have made to their families and communities for generations.

In 2013, the National Quilting Association, Inc. held a quilt design contest for the members. The designer of the winning quilt was Evelyn Young of LeRoy, Illinois. Her design for the quilt titled “Stash Attack” is a free design available below.

There are countless ways to celebrate National Quilting Day. In the past quilters have had sew-in days, made quilts for community charity venues, worked with Girl Scouts to earn sewing badges, etc. Please let us know how you celebrate and we can share your ideas with others. After all, sharing a great idea is how National Quilting Day got started. Send the description of your celebration to the National Quilting Day Coordinator, so it can be shared with others on Face Book and at the National Quilting Association Quilt Show in Columbus, Ohio, May 23-25, 2014.

Blog Entries
    I was able to finish 2 client quilts today and start quilting DN's wedding quilt. Yes, I will have it done before wedding the end of June. No IOU's for once.