Touring Rome

Old 10-30-2013, 04:13 AM

Default Touring Rome

Hi all,

We are going on a cruise in April 2014- one stop is in Rome. I would like to take a tour (to help with long lines esp.) to be sure to see the Sistine Chapel and Vatican. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks- got a lot of good suggestions when we went to Alaska last summer.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Keep an eye out for the wonderful mosaic and tile floors in the churches and elsewhere. Ami Sims did a whole book on the designs.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I have never been, sounds wonderful, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 AM

Take pictures of the tile floors and walls.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:12 AM

Be careful and don't require medical attention. My neighbour fell in Rome and had trouble getting a sling for her broken arm. She said the dr etc were wonderful but the conditions of the hospital and lack of necessities was very clear.

Enjoy the trip there are some wonderful sight and smells as well as wonderful architecture.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 AM

If you can arrange a good tour guide, it is well worth the money. They will get your reservations to Vatican, Collesium, etc. ahead of time and save you waiting in line. Also, with a guide and driver, you won't have to worry about transportation. They drop you at the closest point and come back for you when you're done. We had a wonderful guide in Rome a few years ago. We arranged the tour from home (with the help of a travel agent - do they even still exist in the age of internet do-it-yourself?) and I don't remember what agency she worked with but she was fantastic. The same travel agent arranged for our guide in Paris who was terrible.
Don't miss the Galleria Borghasi (probably didn't spell that right). Lovely grounds, statues, art work, frescoes and not very crowded at all.
Have a great trip!
Old 10-30-2013, 01:03 PM

Do you have room in your suitcase for me? I do laundry, prepare snacks...just kidding! Have a fabulous time!

Make sure you throw a coin into the Trevi Fountain (remember the movie, "Three Coins in the Fountain"?) - to do so guarantees that you will return again to Rome. Visit the Pitti (spelling?) Palace - great artworks, The Forum, The Vatican (of course) and basically, just walk around if you can. Stop for espresso and gelato (ice cream). Look for small restaurants where the Romans eat.

Your cruise director can point you to onshore tours, but I agree, if you can, hire a private car and guide.

Rome is a great city to visit. I haven't been there in 40+ years, but someday I will go back. After all, I did throw a coin into the Trevi Fountain!

Anita
Old 10-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

I've heard that women get dressed and it's expected, so bring a dress or skirt
Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM

Do get a tour guide for the Vatican - they can get you in without lines, and a good guide with an art history background will make it all come alive. We found one from some tourists we met in Florence and we made an appointment for a day with her. worth every cent! She did the Vatican, the Colosseum and the Forum with us and she was great company, too. I'd give you her name but it was 12 years ago and I've lost it.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:21 AM

We were in Rome last December and did several tours including the Sistine Chapel and Vatican. A tour is the best way for these. Tour guides there must be licensed and pass tests - they are very knowledgeable and you learn so much. Go online and you can purchase the tickets ahead of time - just google tours in Rome. Tell them where your ship docks and they will arrange transportation or tell you how to get to the starting place of the tour. We were in Rome 7 days and did many of them. Have a wonderful trip.