Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tracing markers for patterns? >

Tracing markers for patterns?

Tracing markers for patterns?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:38 PM

Default Tracing markers for patterns?

Hello,

What kind of markers or tracing media do you use for tracing around patterns? I mean for clothes, bags, etc? Thanks!
Old 04-13-2016, 03:00 AM

Ok. Do any of you trace around your patterns? I used to just pin them to the fabric and cut around but found that was not a good idea. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-13-2016, 03:12 AM

I never use the original paper pattern to make something. I buy the cheapest muslin I can find and then use the paper pattern to trace a working pattern on the muslin. The muslin holds up very well for multiple uses and clings to the fabric so fewer pins are used when cutting the garment out. This method also allows me to make different size working patterns without destroying the original paper pattern since most patterns now come with multiple sizes in the same pattern. When I make things for my granddaughters who are different sizes one pattern purchase will suffice. The muslin I usually get at JoAnn's when it is on sale or with a coupon. I buy a bolt.

To trace my pattern on the muslin I use a fine tip permanent marker. I transfer grain lines and other marker points to the pattern as well. I label each piece with the pattern number and what it is (front, back etc) along with the size. since the muslin is quite flimsy I have no problem seeing through it to the original pattern. If the original pattern lines are too light I go over them with a permanent marker so they show through better.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:18 AM

Awesome method! Thanks!
Old 04-13-2016, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

It depends on if you want the marking to be permanent. I still have the tracing wheel along with the colored paper that I used in the 60s & 70s when sewing clothes.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I have a couple tracing wheels.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I never use the original paper pattern to make something. I buy the cheapest muslin I can find and then use the paper pattern to trace a working pattern on the muslin. The muslin holds up very well for multiple uses and clings to the fabric so fewer pins are used when cutting the garment out. This method also allows me to make different size working patterns without destroying the original paper pattern since most patterns now come with multiple sizes in the same pattern. When I make things for my granddaughters who are different sizes one pattern purchase will suffice. The muslin I usually get at JoAnn's when it is on sale or with a coupon. I buy a bolt.

To trace my pattern on the muslin I use a fine tip permanent marker. I transfer grain lines and other marker points to the pattern as well. I label each piece with the pattern number and what it is (front, back etc) along with the size. since the muslin is quite flimsy I have no problem seeing through it to the original pattern. If the original pattern lines are too light I go over them with a permanent marker so they show through better.
That's an awesome idea! I don't often use patterns more than once or twice so I usually use the original pattern. but I have a couple jacket patterns that have used many times. I've traced them onto vellum which holds up pretty well, but muslin would be even better. I'm definitely going to try that.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
It depends on if you want the marking to be permanent. I still have the tracing wheel along with the colored paper that I used in the 60s & 70s when sewing clothes.
I'm still using mine as well. I think my little tracing wheel if an antique - like me.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:42 AM

I use the pattern itself. I would think tracing on vellim would work better than Muslin as it would not get stretched out of shape. Thanks Cashs mom. Something for me to keep in memory bank if I ever need this
Old 04-13-2016, 09:00 AM

There is a product called "Do Sew". Use to get it at the Stretch and Sew stores but have to order it online now. It reminds me of an inter facing fabric. You trace the pattern on it and use the traced pattern instead of the original. You can iron it smooth after it has been folded in the pattern envelope. Very durable. I would think less bulky for storage than the muslin. It also sort of sticks to fabric so less pins used.