Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tools for tracing/transfer quilting patterns >

Tools for tracing/transfer quilting patterns

Tools for tracing/transfer quilting patterns

Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 PM

As a newbie, I'm finishing the patchwork portion of my first project. Now I'm wondering the best way of tracing a quilting pattern onto your quilt top. I thought I'd do this first one by hand, but am unsure of best type of tracing pen, or what is best tool for this.

Appreciate any help - thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:29 PM

I like to use Golden threads quilting paper, then it's as simple as tracing the design onto the thin paper and pinning it to your quilt top and sewing along the lines!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 PM

I have been very happy, using the Frixion pen by Pilot, for tracing the quilting pattern from my stencils. Touch it with a hot iron, and like magic, the marks disappear. Then, I wash and dry the finished quilt.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

what ever you choose make sure you test it on a small area and make sure it is going to come out again- some times even if it says that's what it's for they do not always come out- best to always test! even if you used it on the last one and it came out fine- test it on the next one.
all that being said- i have always had the best luck just using a pencil...i've wasted lots of money on specialty markers/pencils/pens/chalk/
consistantly plain ole pencil works best (for me) and has always come out...unlike some expensive marking tools.
there are water erase markers- air erase markers- chalk- tracing paper- transfer pencils- (be careful with transfer pencils- they sometimes are permenent.)
Old 07-18-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
consistantly plain ole pencil works best (for me) and has always come out...
I didn't think lead would wash out, or do you do something different to remove it?? Inquiring minds want to know

;-)
Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM

I have a marking pencil that is lead, but does not have any graife (sp?) which is the material that makes pencil mark stick on paper. It washes out well with no residue.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nona
I have a marking pencil that is lead, but does not have any graife (sp?) which is the material that makes pencil mark stick on paper. It washes out well with no residue.
do you mean lead but not graphite?

I use the 7mm throwaway mechanical pencils, makes a very fine line and they erase, if you have a problem then use a very wet magic eraser, and I have removed everything.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Originally Posted by ckcowl
consistantly plain ole pencil works best (for me) and has always come out...
I didn't think lead would wash out, or do you do something different to remove it?? Inquiring minds want to know

;-)
Pencil did not come out for me. I have tried everything. The quilt is about 20 years old has been washed many times and the marks are still there.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM

I use the Mark b gone blue marker from Hancocks. It stays there until you wipe over it with a wet cloth. I use bridal tulle on the roll to trace patterns of quilt designs from the pattern book or after I have enlarged one I find by printing it on the printer. I use a black sharpie so it will stay on the tulle. Pin the tulle in place on your quilt and trace the design with your marking device, whatever you choose. Do not use the sharpie on your fabric just to trace from the paper pattern.